As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Elektron boxes in sync with Ableton Live (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Elektron boxes in sync with Ableton Live
Cappy
Elektron boxes in sync with Ableton Live 12 Years, 3 Months ago
Hi guys
since this is the place to go to for everything elektron related. I just wanted to ask what configs and setups you use to sync Live with elektron boxes.

I manly use live for vst synths (Native instrments Absynth and Massive. Also use ABL2 for some projects). Efter recieving some tips from a friend who is more experanced in hw then me me current set up is:

Ableton Live as master with clock signal sent to md/mnm over the TM-1 interface.
Master ch in live set to -6ms delay compensation. Tempo drifts +/- 0.3 BMP on the external hw.

All help and constructive critisism is welcome!

Cheers
PJM

** I'm new to the forum and if i have missed threads where this has been addressed please prove urls. Thanks.
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re:Elektron boxes in sync with Ableton Live 12 Years, 3 Months ago
"Innerclock systems" it's what you need to perfectly slave the OT to the DAW clock. Google it.
Also if you want to know more about this in here there was a thread in the Other Gear Section of this Forum about the Innerclock and how you use it.

Cheers
Chain Chomp
^ the Innerclock devices will help, but there is a certain amount of internal timing jitter in all of the Elektron devices. The Sync Gen II LE will tighten up synchronization with your computer and other devices, but unfortunately will not fix the internal clock of the MD, MnM, or OT...
Goomba
Is this a problem they ( elektron ) couldn't just address in an OS update or something?

To be honest, this is the first time I have seen it said that the issue is with the Elektron devices as opposed to it being with MIDI in general and modern computers.

It's something I want to tackle as well. I haven't had my MD for very long so I'm more just getting used to the device at the minute and have yet to have it running its patterns being triggered via MIDI.

I'm in the process of getting a new audio interface so I'm unable to try out any suggestions I read until that arrives but I wondered whether anyone has triggered MD/MnM patterns from an external hardware sequencer and got perfect sync? I was actually looking at getting the Yamaha QY700 as I thought this might be a solid sync method for live use but I'm in 2 minds now I have just read that the issue could potentially still be there if it's Elektron units to blame?

Hang on though, if you own both the MnM and MD and use only those 2 devices where one is the master and one is the slave in a live jam, how is the sync then? If it's perfect, does this not mean that the issue is NOT with the Elektron devices??

What about using the MD/MnM as a master? Does this produce better result than it being a slave? If I sync'd Ableton Live to the MD clock, am I going to experience error - free timing?

Like I say, I can't try these out yet until my Interface arrives as I have no MIDI connection but if somebody has some experience of these methods it would be worthwhile hearing about them.
Cappy
It's interesting that your friend suggested using Live as the master. The computer-generated MIDI clock will have more jitter than the elektron boxes. Most articles/blogs I have read regard the Machinedrum's MIDI clock as being about as solid as you can get.
Goomba
There's 2 conflicting statements in this thread, earlier prscrptn said there was an amount of jitter in all Elektron devices and that some of the Inner Clock devices might help. Of course now you saying the Elektron devices have some of the most solid clocks you can get, makes me wonder what's what.

I dunno, guess I will try out all possibilities.
Cappy
Citizen J wrote:
What about using the MD/MnM as a master? Does this produce better result than it being a slave? If I sync'd Ableton Live to the MD clock, am I going to experience error - free timing?

Nicolai wrote:
It's interesting that your friend suggested using Live as the master. The computer-generated MIDI clock will have more jitter than the elektron boxes. Most articles/blogs I have read regard the Machinedrum's MIDI clock as being about as solid as you can get.

My friend argued that Live had more trouble following external clocks and keeping everything in sync rather than acting as master. I know his studio has allot more midi interfaces and chains of hw so this set up might work better for him. I'm very novice in this area and had little success syncing live via the MDs clock.

I mix everything external and with -6 ms compensations on lives master channel it sounds tight.
Chain Chomp
To clarify, this is a problem that I have been working to solve for quite some time now...

Here are the results;

Computers output sync to your external devices which have ascertain amount of jitter. This is not "analogue groove", it is small random timing inaccuracies. Jitter will cause your device to be slightly ahead or slightly behind perfect clock. All modern computers and DAW software have this problem, period. It does not matter what computer/DAW you use.

The Innerclock devices will convert audio to sync and output a perfect sync signal to your external gear.

Unfortunately, we have learned that most hardware; including Elektron devices, have some internal jitter issues which are similar to the problems that computers display with sync. Sometimes notes are slightly ahead and sometimes notes are slightly behind. Jitter is irregular and unpredictable and therefore many refer to this problem as "timing slop".

The only way to get your tracks perfectly in time is through micro editing. I suggest working with your computer as the master clock, but turning off sync during recording. This will reduce the amount of timing irregularities in your tracks, but unfortunately not eliminate it 100%.

I use Ableton with my Octatrack; this method has worked for me, but it is far from perfect.
my solution is to stop syncing DAWs to hardware
Admin
Octatrack as master, Live/Mac as slave does not work for me.

However, Mac/Live as master and OT as slave does. Just a normal spec Macbook Pro with a humble old M Audio Fasttrack Pro interface.

I have tested this by starting Live in record mode and tracking the output of my OT into Live.

I disabled Warp mode on the recording, and it still timed up perfectly, over the duration of around 7 minutes.
Go to top Post Reply