As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT: Drones and Pads techniques (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT: Drones and Pads techniques
Chain Chomp
Re:OT: Drones and Pads techniques 12 Years, 1 Month ago
Use very slow LFOs?
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:OT: Drones and Pads techniques 12 Years, 1 Month ago
LFO a LFO that LFOs a LFO that LFOs an effect parameter.

Slowly.
Cappy
Re:OT: Drones and Pads techniques 10 Years, 10 Months ago
Glad I found this thread. I'm going to try to create a more drone/ambient leaning piece on the Octatrack. Now that we have Dark Reverb, I don't think I need a Space anymore.

If anyone has found some great Dark Reverb settings for super long decaying trails and such, please post!
Yoshi
Look at my stuff, and help me obtain my burger
Clips and videos
Re:OT: Drones and Pads techniques 10 Years, 10 Months ago
jonah wrote:
LFO a LFO that LFOs a LFO that LFOs an effect parameter.

Slowly.

For some reason this reminds me of:
Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_buffalo_Buffalo_buffalo
wonder why though..
Cappy
Re:OT: Drones and Pads techniques 10 Years, 8 Months ago
I'm still getting started with this aspect of music making on the Octatrack. I did indeed found that increasing Rate on the Playback page introduced a stuttering effect to a Flex Machine track that was playing back slices (64-slice grid, random trigger locks) of sampled viola audio.

However with Effect 1 set to Filter, I found that messing with RTRG and RTIM also generated some unexpected sounds. RTRG at around 20 and RTIM turned down to about 0.2 generated a bass-heavy sequence line with some overtones. The speed might still be a bit too fast for some approaches to ambient music, but I'll probably keep playing around with this and see where this takes me.
Cappy
My first attempt at making ambient music with just viola and Octatrack in one take. I screwed some things up but I'm learning some new skills that I plan to keep practicing:

Pseudo-ambient nonsense on Octatrack and viola
My tip: don't try to automate everything, leave some stuff to performance (knob twiddling and crossfader work)
Cappy
neilbaldwin wrote:
My tip: don't try to automate everything, leave some stuff to performance (knob twiddling and crossfader work)

Good tip. In my case, I forgot to reset all my LFO settings, track volume settings, etc. before I started my loop-based jam last night. These were among my aforementioned screwups.
Goomba
Inspired by this thread, I tried the Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo approach.

Of course in this case it's something like LFO LFO LFO delay delay LFO LFO delay delay delay delay.

You were right about the LFOs!

I've always wanted to create stuff like this, and was actually pleasantly surprised by how easy it is on the Octatrack. It's mostly one sample processed in different ways in the Octatrack. Some percussive samples, too. I also added a few delays and whatnot in Ableton.

https://soundcloud.com/misnaps/worker
Cappy
josker wrote:
Inspired by this thread, I tried the Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo approach.

Of course in this case it's something like LFO LFO LFO delay delay LFO LFO delay delay delay delay.

You were right about the LFOs!

I've always wanted to create stuff like this, and was actually pleasantly surprised by how easy it is on the Octatrack. It's mostly one sample processed in different ways in the Octatrack. Some percussive samples, too. I also added a few delays and whatnot in Ableton.

https://soundcloud.com/misnaps/worker

Nice! Did you use a Thru machine to get additional delay on top of delay? I didn't quite get the "buffalo" reference but if that's what that means...

You guys inspire me to up my own ambient game.
Go to top Post Reply