As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT: Drones and Pads techniques (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT: Drones and Pads techniques
JES
King Koopa
Re:OT: Drones and Pads techniques 12 Years, 3 Months ago
@Poonti: thanks!

@xhendrichs: personally, I don't get hung up on specifications. I think you'll run into the OT's limitations before the 96/48k issue comes up.

For me, if I'm not even going to worry about mic technique (at least in a conventional way), sample rate other than basic compatibility isn't going to be a big issue. My goal is to so radically transform the sample that the original material is more "inspiration" than anything else. Of course, perhaps you have a completely different goal in mind.
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Just to add to the discussion in a different direction....OT rules for creating granular-ish drones....but pair it with an Eventide (Space, Eclipse, etc), and you are in another universe. This includes resampling the reverb back into the OT for further mangling. OT is a dream for drone experiments....but Eventide reverbs are classic fundamentals for drones. Put the two together, and you have drone bliss!
Chain Chomp
JES wrote:
this track: http://unlikelyevent.net/track/eponymous

Very Nice.
JES
King Koopa
thanks again!

@RonF: you've got a good point about reverb. I've got a couple nice analog delays -- although the OT's delay is really quite good. I am really missing reverb on the OT, especially because I have some good ITB 'verbs. I have an old Digitech DSP 128 (bought used for nothing in the late 80s--and its value has certainly declined!) but the bigger settings aren't good enough to do anything except make me want better reverb. I'm not yet ready to commit $500 to Eventide for the Space, so my baby step is an Alesis Wedge (it's on its way), which was good enough for lots of ambient and electronic acts around the turn of the century even though I'm sure its specs pale in comparison with the Eventide. We'll see how that helps out in a week or two when it arrives.

--JES
Chain Chomp
Headphone and/or cue outs to audio in with various effects chains, but mind your ears. An external limiter or device that will clip the audio nicely can be useful here. This can also be combined with multiple record trigs to make some nice cascading effects.

Another variation on this is to use a cheap unpowered mic and headphones and play around with making them feedback. Depending on the space you are in the sound of the room can add a lot of interest to the sound and it's often more "playable" since you can position the mic and headphones to cause varying levels of feedback.
King Koopa
Fully agreed!

http://vimeo.com/35098716

in the beginning you hear a drone from the OT running through Eventide Space and Timefactor.

When you record with iPhone, what app do you use?

Is there also an iPhone app, that is recording automatically for five seconds every ten minutes or so?
prscrptn wrote:
JES wrote:
this track: http://unlikelyevent.net/track/eponymous

Very Nice.

Second that.
Chain Chomp
Of course, perhaps you have a completely different goal in mind.

... Indeed... I was thinking about how to record when we want to detune without bringing some artefacts.

Pulsn, your vid is great!!

Bye
xheindrichs wrote:
When the purpose is to slow down a sample, is it beter to record in the highest sample rate available? For example 96khz?

When we slow down a 96khz sample for about one octave (or 1/2 its speed), does it become a 48khz sample?

Bye

This was my first thought...
I know that if you load 22kHz samples they play back twice as fast. I've done so. I don't know if it'll load 96k samples and just play them halfspeed though. The OT supports playing 44.1k, but other frequencies seem to play, just at the wrong speed. I would guess it's the same if you resample at a higher rate; it'll just play back at the slower (44.1) rate.

I don't know if I'd say it'll sound better... but it's one potential way to double your stretch time.
5id
Boo
MD UW+ OT
xoneDB4
RonF wrote:
....but pair it with an Eventide (Space, Eclipse, etc), and you are in another universe.

Thanks for the tips on the Eventide Space, purchased one of those little babies this morning and i'm very happy

Thanks to pulsn for giving a lovely example of the OT and Eventide, you guy's are full of excellent ideas to spice things up.
Go to top Post Reply