As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT parts discussion (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT parts discussion
Admin
Re:OT parts discussion 12 Years, 5 Months ago
darenager wrote:
Yeah I'm beginning to wish I'd never mentioned it

Not at all - I think it's good to have discussions like this thread. My only problem is that I have yet to read an explanation of Parts that makes me want to even delve into understanding them.
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Parts contain machine track assignments, which samples are assigned to which tracks, track fx and parameter settings, and 16 scenes - basically like a kit but only 4 per bank of 16 patterns.

Then you can have upto 128 samples in flex and 128 static, which you assign to the slots, the slots can be assigned differently between the 4 parts.

Thats it in a nutshell
Chain Chomp
papertiger wrote:
darenager wrote:
Yeah I'm beginning to wish I'd never mentioned it

Not at all - I think it's good to have discussions like this thread. My only problem is that I have yet to read an explanation of Parts that makes me want to even delve into understanding them.

Here is a older general explanation of parts with regard to sample assignments

http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&func=view&Itemid=28&catid=9&id=155369#155369
Cappy
Hey I'm glad you did bring this up. I am learning a bunch from all this. The search function for this website never seems to give me the answers I seek.

As far as P-locking different samples using the up and down keys or the volume knob. You cannot preview the sample while trying to do this (function+Enter) so if you don't remember if it was sample #20 808snarehi--- or #21 808snarehi-- your just gonna have to guess which is the right one.

I'm gonna try the sample chain method now after reading these comments.

I like the idea that the parts change the FX settings and scene settings. will have to figure out how to setup different recording methods for parts as well. Right now I still don't even know how to actually record

It seems like using banks for different sample assignments is the way to go for now if you want a per pattern type of feel then you dive into each bank like patterns are mini sequencers which only adjust the current bank kit's samples.

I feel your pain darenager as scrolling through sample slots for p-locking is how I have been struggling, loosing inspiration. All the menu diving reminds me of my Akai s5000.

Everyone says the next update is gonna blow our pants off so lets see what happens.

I'm also gonna see what parts do for midi tracks if anything.
Cappy
There are posters in here with much more experience than me, so I'll just share a similarity I noticed in new workflows as a beginner:

When I first used the MnM and later the MD, it was very strange to me that my sounds were not saved with my patterns, and that I had to save a new 'kit' or remember to save my kit, and that changes to a kit would effect all patterns that used that same kit. I messed up a bunch of patterns this way.

It seems very simple now and I understand the benefit of kits.

Using the OT so far, I feel the exact same way about parts. I get it -- but I am still constructing my own workflow, while trying to see clearly the intended workflow, which is still partially undiscovered/undisclosed.

This thread is a good read, its fun to watch some of the heavy forum hitters post in one place.

Admin
papertiger wrote:
This thread makes me want to kill someone. With an OT.

Maybe Hector will save us all.

Wait until you see my next thread topic
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
kraftf wrote:

Totally agree with you.
The whole thread misses the point.

No YOU miss the point of the thread which is NOT to defend elektron but to get them to do something about it.

I think people opposing to the part concept are trying to use OT as traditional drum machine sampler and this logic fails by default. It's so much more than a drum machine.

Cant it be both?

Anyway I suggest people try to understand parts and save them frequently.
My last 2 cent on this thread.

Nice strawman there. I perfectly well understand parts, I just think they are bullshit. Also, don't let the door hit on the ass on the way out.
Game & Watch
Try to keep things civil or this thread will turn into pages of rubbish
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
darenager wrote:
Try to keep things civil or this thread will turn into pages of rubbish

If there is one thing I cant stand on forums its people acting as if you're stupid because you disagree with them. A little bugbear of mine.
Game & Watch
I agree, and it is easy to get drawn into something, all I am asking is that everyone try to refrain from fuelling the fire
Go to top Post Reply