As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear New OT use questions on samples per pattern and previewing (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: New OT use questions on samples per pattern and previewing
Chain Chomp
Re:New OT use questions on samples per pattern and previewing 12 Years, 5 Months ago
AikiGhost wrote:

I have to say I have zero interest in using static tracks and wish the OT would stop defaulting to them instead of flex machines. In fact if I could remove the static machines option from the machines type list I would do so.

You have to think twice or maybe more about this sentence.

Think of a static sample as a slot that can hold 64 samples of equal but unlimited length(only limitation is the size of your compact flash card).
To get my self more clear:

You can merge 64 samples in a file and then slice them directly using the create slice grid option. If the samples are equal length they get sliced perfectly.
Then using the start parameter you can p-lock which sample you want OT to playback.
Its just perfect.
So from the static slots you can have 128*64=8192 samples in the form of 128 audio files(if they can fit your CF card)
So, do you still want to remove your static slots?????
Of course not, you wouldn't dare to!!
This is one of the coolest features of OT and God bless them.
  The topic has been locked.
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
Re:New OT use questions on samples per pattern and previewing 12 Years, 5 Months ago
kraftf wrote:
You can merge 64 samples in a file and then slice them directly using the create slice grid option. If the samples are equal length they get sliced perfectly.
Then using the start parameter you can p-lock which sample you want OT to playback.
Its just perfect.
So from the static slots you can have 128*64=8192 samples in the form of 128 audio files(if they can fit your CF card)

But cant you just do this with flex machines too? Also has anyone got any of these 64 sample long files available to play with?
Yoshi
AikiGhost wrote:
But cant you just do this with flex machines too? Also has anyone got any of these 64 sample long files available to play with?

Grab 64 random/different drum hits in your DAW, put one on each quarter note, and bounce the whole thing down as one 16 bar long wav.

Voila, a 64 long sample file.

Then chuck it in the OctaTrack and split the file by 64 divisions, you can now trigger the different samples based on sample slice.
Chain Chomp
AikiGhost wrote:

Yeah you can but flex is ram based and you are limited in size.
In static machines you can load whole tracks and split them in their building parts too.

If you don't use the slice parameter and use instead just the normal start parameter you have 128 samples per file.Huge amount.
But again remember that your samples/loops have to have equal length in order that they are divided linearly.
Flex samples are limited by RAM.

You don't need to do every song on a new project, but banks are a decent way to split things up. 4 parts per bank, assigned dynamically, give you plenty of space to get weird.

Really children, it just takes a little time playing with it. It's pretty fucking smart how it's set up. Can we get past this yet?

(I don't mean to really hurt anybody's feelings, I'm only being playful. It's just that I don't do emoticons.)
kraftf wrote:
AikiGhost wrote:

I have to say I have zero interest in using static tracks and wish the OT would stop defaulting to them instead of flex machines. In fact if I could remove the static machines option from the machines type list I would do so.

You have to think twice or maybe more about this sentence.

Think of a static sample as a slot that can hold 64 samples of equal but unlimited length(only limitation is the size of your compact flash card).
To get my self more clear:

Its just perfect.
So, do you still want to remove your static slots?????
Of course not, you wouldn't dare to!!
This is one of the coolest features of OT and God bless them.

uh oh, looks like I have some competition

once you start using sample chains, it's pretty much impossible to go back to single samples per slot
AikiGhost wrote:

The main difference is that Flex machines use Ram, and you are therefore limited in the amount of audio you can load at once. Static samples stream from the card, and are therefore more suited to being long.

Also, 64 is just a number imposed by the maximum amount of slices the OT can create in 1 sample.
Your chains don't have to contain 64 "bits", you could, for example, have 8 drum bounces from 8 different songs. Chain them together, load in the OT, slice into 8 slices.

You can then select which drum performance plays by adjusting the start parameter. Add One Shot trigs, and you've got a full set of stems on 8 tracks, all neatly available and remixable on the spot

What I've been doing with chains recently, is stacking them. I'll chain 64 drum samples on 1 track in Pro Tools, and on a second track, chain 64 "ambience hits", and maybe a third track with 64 little vocal hits. Load the chain in a static, and go to town with slices

the uses are limitless!
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Nice tips! I haven't done much with OT slices, and kind of lazy to dig up the info right now, but is there any auto-transient slicing (like the Korg ESX has)? This way you wouldn't be limited to equally sized samples in your static track (to be sliced).
poonti wrote:
Nice tips! I haven't done much with OT slices, and kind of lazy to dig up the info right now, but is there any auto-transient slicing (like the Korg ESX has)? This way you wouldn't be limited to equally sized samples in your static track (to be sliced).

not yet, unfortunately.

the automatic method works like a charm when stuff is lined up precisely in a DAW.

you can also create manual slices, if you want precise control over their position. Or you can alter a slice's start and end points.

I have no real doubt that transient slicing will be implemented at some point
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
heckadecimal wrote:
Really children, it just takes a little time playing with it. It's pretty fucking smart how it's set up. Can we get past this yet?

MAybe if the manula was a bit better written?

I mean seriously I've had it for 3 days now and I still cant figure out how to create a new bank. The manual says how to select a bank (which will let me select already created banks) but not how to create a fresh one.

And until I came into this thread I had no idea what parts were meant to be for. I also still think having only 4 parts per bank is a bit odd.
Go to top Post Reply