As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT: Saving procedure (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT: Saving procedure
Chain Chomp
Every track here is made live using only the monomachine and the octatrack (no pc):
www.soundcloud.com/cutoph2
www.soundcloud.com/nobodyslistening
Re:OT: Saving procedure 12 Years, 9 Months ago
No saving problems here either,

only when my OT crashed But that was bad luck and because I did not sync my project enough
  The topic has been locked.
Re:OT: Saving procedure 12 Years, 8 Months ago
Another thing worth noting is that if you're using the track recorders, you must remember to save them as a new sample.
Chain Chomp
heckadecimal wrote:
Another thing worth noting is that if you're using the track recorders, you must remember to save them as a new sample.
+1
Admin
I find the saving proceedure extremely straightforward.

Once I have something new worth saving, I just choose 'Save As new Project', name it, and execute. All aspects of the project are saved to the CF card, except any new recorder machine samples which have to be saved manually as they exist in the flash memory, which is volatile. Samples already in the audio pool for that set are not duplicated.

If I have an existing project that I have returned to work on, I choose 'Store backup' to ensure I don't lose any new changes.

If I make a change to any previously saved project, then turn the machine off without saving, the next time I reboot the OT will load the project in it's last working state, unless I load the project manually - in which case it will load the saved version of project .

All the above proceedures will save all of my work without creating unecessary duplicate files as far as I'm aware.
Goomba
PLOVA wrote:
Once I have something new worth saving, I just choose 'Save As new Project', name it, and execute. All aspects of the project are saved to the CF card, except any new recorder machine samples which have to be saved manually as they exist in the flash memory, which is volatile. Samples already in the audio pool for that set are not duplicated.

If I have an existing project that I have returned to work on, I choose 'Store backup' to ensure I don't lose any new changes.

If I make a change to any previously saved project, then turn the machine off without saving, the next time I reboot the OT will load the project in it's last working state, unless I load the project manually - in which case it will load the saved version of project .

All the above proceedures will save all of my work without creating unecessary duplicate files as far as I'm aware.

Ok. I have three questions for you please:
1. If you have made changes to a project you want to save, how do you save if you want to work on another project?
2. So you dont agree with the people who recommend using SYNC TO CARD - the procedure that I THINK made me loose all I did the evening before, after the machine crashed?
3. What is SYNC TO CARD good for. Store Backup also saves the project to the CF-card...

It seems to me, that the save backup procedure is more safe than SYNC TO CARD. I just did some testing of the saving procedure:

A. STORE BACKUP, change all (parts, trigs...), reset, change set, reopen project. RESTORE BACKUP. Backup point restored.
Fine.

B. SYNC TO CARD, change all (parts, trigs...), change set and project, reset, reopen set and project. Everything is as synced. Fine.

C. STORE BACKUP, change all (parts, trigs...), SYNC TO CARD, reset and reopen project.
The project is as when I Sync'd the Card. RESTORE BACKUP. The project is as when I Saved backup point. Changed set, and changed back. The project is as when I Saved backup point. So Synced project is lost.

D. SYNC TO CARD, change all (parts, trigs...), STORE BACKUP.
reset, reopen project. The project is as when I Saved backup point. So Synced project is lost.
And shows that BACKUP "overrules" SYNC TO CARD.

All tests had the parts correct all way (without saving theese) with an asterisk showing that parts arent saved. So Parts saving isnt so important - unless you want to go back to a "backup up point" of the Parts I guess.
Admin
1. If you have made changes to a project you want to save, how do you save if you want to work on another project?

I don't really understand that question - If I want to save my current project, I....er....just save it as mentioned........then I load another project or create a new one.

2. So you dont agree with the people who recommend using SYNC TO CARD - the procedure that I THINK made me loose all I did the evening before, after the machine crashed?

I don't disagree with anyone's stated methods (to be honest I didn't read them all), but I generally don't use the Sync option. I have used it in the past, but personally it makes more sense to me to just save projects as I would if I were using a computer.

3. What is SYNC TO CARD good for. Store Backup also saves the project to the CF-card...

As said before, I have only used this feature a few times, but don't anymore.

The Octrack manual states -

SYNC TO CARD is a recommended operation before ejecting the Compact Flash card as it
will save the changes made to the active project to the card. Removing the card without
first card syncing the project might result in data losses.

T
Goomba
Sorry for my english. What I mean is:
1. When you have been working on a project that has been saved (as new) and then want to work on another - maybe new - project. Do you then just save the first project as backup point? I guess so… Just to be sure…

2. About the SYNC TO CARD. I did read the manual. But for me it seems the STORE BACKUP procedure also saves to the card. I mean it seems to do the same as SYNC TO CARD and according to my test STORE BACKUP saving is more substantial than SYNC TO CARD. It also takes much longer time for the OT to save by Backup than Sync, so i guess its more thorough.

Thanks a lot. I do not find the saving procedure straightforward, but I am getting there
Admin
Sorry Moogens, I edited your last post by accident instead of clicking 'reply'!

Just getting used to my new Administrator options

To answer your question -

I recommend you follow these simple proceedures based on each of your working situations -

When working on a new project, save by using SAVE TO NEW.

When re-loading an existing project, save by using STORE BACKUP, just to be sure.

When working on a previously saved project that you wish to discard any new changes to, simply load the last saved version again.

If you aren't comfortable with SYNC TO CARD, then just avoid it. As long as you save projects you should be fine.

Hope this helps.
Goomba
PLOVA wrote:
Sorry Moogens, I edited your last post by accident instead of clicking 'reply'!

No problem, I pasted my question back in

I think your reply put it very simple. Thank you.
Goomba
A final remark...

Maybe some of you think I am nitpicking, but I do still think Elektron have figured out a strange way of saving.

My original question was why it isn't enough simply to save the project in a traditional way (SAVE PROJECT + SAVE PROJECT AS) and thereby saving all included?

The STORE BACKUP apparently saves to the card anyway, so why have a SYNC TO CARD option?

Giving a name to arrangements and parts (if at all necessary) could be called "Naming" - instead of having separate saving procedures for parts and arrangements (part adjustments seem to be saved anyway, with the STORE BACKUP option). And actually I think I also would prefer to give titles to the banks instead, since a bank (with or without arrangement) comes closest to a song in a project (= concert/show).

The autosave feature is VERY clever, but in my opinion the OT way of manual saving is not straightforward because of inconsistency with saving procedures in other it-products. Software companies have long time ago discovered an intuitive way of saving information in various documents/projects. So why go for an alternative procedure?

I guess working to much with computers for to long, have made me into a traditionalist
Go to top Post Reply