As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:OT: using scenes to alter parameters of p-locked trigs? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT: using scenes to alter parameters of p-locked trigs?
Re:OT: using scenes to alter parameters of p-locked trigs? 12 Years, 10 Months ago
I'm not 100% sure what you're trying to do but you can certainly lock values to scenes. It's a massively powerful aspect of the OT.

I've done some stuff like this:

Slice a drum loop and map it to 16 trigs.
Set RTRG to a value other than 0, say 64.
Switch scene A to scene 1 by holding down [SCENE A] button and then tapping T(rig)1
Keep [SCENE A] held and then set RTIM to 127. It's now locked at that value to Scene 1
While still holding [SCENE A], tap T2, then set RTIM to, say, 64
Repeat with Scene 3 (T3) and set RTIM to 80
Then T4 and RTIM to 96 (i'm just making these numbers up)

Right, switch back to Scene 1 and press play. You have the drum loop playing normally.

Now, switch scenes 2 - 4 by holding down [SCENE A] and tapping T2, T3 or T4. Give you various speeds of retriggering while the loop is still playing.
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Octatrack DPS-1
Re:OT: using scenes to alter parameters of p-locked trigs? 12 Years, 10 Months ago
ipassenger wrote:
gliiitches wrote:
Cheers guys.

I've just thought of a practical reason why what I mean isn't possible right now.

When you hold down a scene button to start scene-locking parameters, the trig buttons switch so you can select a scene. To do what I'm talking about you would need to have access to the sequencer trigs as you are holding down the scene button.

I suppose I can do a complete shift in sounds by having two different loops on one sample file, and then scene-locking the 'start' parameter. But that trick is probably old news by now!

EDIT: My understanding of that sentence in the manual is that scene-locks override p-locks.

Oh so you want to use a scene to effectively cross fade to a different pattern within a track. Yeah it can't do that at all. Maybe if one day we get ghost tracks, track patterns that are hidden, you could then cross fade between the live one and one of the ghost track patterns. Wouldn't put money on that happening though.

That's exactly what I mean - thank you for summing it up much more concisely than I did!
Boo
Related: I've thought a couple of times that I'd really like to be able to assign sample locks to the crossfader.
Boo
Octatrack DPS-1
Cheers NB - yeah, I understand that you can lock values to scenes. But the parameters you can lock are (for want of a better term) 'global' - i.e. they affect the whole track.

What I was wondering is whether you can scene-lock the values of indivdual trigs.

For example, on scene 1 the pitch value of trig 1 is set to -6. On scene 2 the pitch value of trig 1 (and only trig one, not the track's pitch setting) is +6.
Game & Watch
gliiitches wrote:

For example, on scene 1 the pitch value of trig 1 is set to -6. On scene 2 the pitch value of trig 1 (and only trig one, not the track's pitch setting) is +6.

Yeah that would also be quite cool.
scrag wrote:
Tested!

OK... so I have a track where different slices of a loop are p-locked to steps in a pattern. I created a scene in that pattern where the slice parameter is p-locked to "1".

Using the crossfader to switch to that scene makes every step of the pattern play slice 1. That's kind of what I expected from my reading of the manual.

Am I missing a point here...?

I think I understood what you said as the opposite...and I probably worded what I said wrong as well..hehe
either way, the best way to find this stuff out is to try it out yourself methodically.

I still have lots of things to explore on the OT, and it's not even OS 1!
also, kind of related, I'd love to have access to some "setup" parameters so I could p-lock them....Elektron, why put the "dist" parameter of the filter out of reach of your scenes and p-locking??
Goomba
I was pretty much trying the same thing: Thought it would be interesting to morph / interpolate between e.g. a straight drumloop and something programmed by p-locked slices. (to get a "smooth" transition)

But I guess there is no way to do that using scenes (other than using two tracks and crossfading the volume for both). Hmm, I wonder if slide trigs could help..
Go to top Post Reply