As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:OT: using scenes to alter parameters of p-locked trigs? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT: using scenes to alter parameters of p-locked trigs?
Boo
Octatrack DPS-1
OT: using scenes to alter parameters of p-locked trigs? 12 Years, 11 Months ago
I don't think this is possible (yet!) but just wanted to check... as the thread title says, can you use scenes to alter parameters of p-locked trigs?

Example: I have a standard 4/4 kick drum pattern. Each trig has the pitch p-locked to vary the sound of each drum hit. Can I then use a scene to alter the p-locked pitch values of indivdual trigs?

It was Neil Baldwin's LFO / slice thread that got me thinking about this. Imagine - you could p-lock the start position of individual trigs and then alter the start position of those individual trigs with a scene, making the pattern trgger completely different samples.

I guess I could sort of do this by slicing a loop, and p-lock different slices to different trigs. Then using a scene to modify the overall start position by one slice. Would this shift all the slices up by one, triggering different sounds through the pattern?

Hmmm... something to try this weekend I think!
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
Re:OT: using scenes to alter parameters of p-locked trigs? 12 Years, 11 Months ago
The Good News Gorilla says this is probably do-able:

"When moving the crossfader, locked scene parameters have priority over parameter locks. This ensures smooth transitions between scene parameters without sudden changes."

from page 41 of the manual certainly suggests that what you're talking about should be possible. I haven't tried it myself, but I'm all curious now...
Game & Watch
Re:OT: using scenes to alter parameters of p-locked trigs? 12 Years, 11 Months ago
One way to do this would be with a really slow square wave lfo, set to trigger mode and set to the value you'd pattern locked (in your case pitch of the kick) but with the depth of the lfo kept at 0.

Now by assigning the depth of the LFO to a scene, you should be able to move the whole sequence of pattern locks in one direction or the other. In your example, move all of the drum locks up or down in pitch. What you couldn't do is change the pattern altogether, you could only shift one way or another, bit like what you said with the slices.
gliiitches wrote:
I don't think this is possible (yet!) but just wanted to check... as the thread title says, can you use scenes to alter parameters of p-locked trigs?

Example: I have a standard 4/4 kick drum pattern. Each trig has the pitch p-locked to vary the sound of each drum hit. Can I then use a scene to alter the p-locked pitch values of indivdual trigs?

It was Neil Baldwin's LFO / slice thread that got me thinking about this. Imagine - you could p-lock the start position of individual trigs and then alter the start position of those individual trigs with a scene, making the pattern trgger completely different samples.

I guess I could sort of do this by slicing a loop, and p-lock different slices to different trigs. Then using a scene to modify the overall start position by one slice. Would this shift all the slices up by one, triggering different sounds through the pattern?

Hmmm... something to try this weekend I think!

scenes work with absolute values, not offsets, so no, what you describe in the last paragraph is not yet possible. I'm sure there would be a way to implement that in the future.
p-locked values do not get altered by scenes, as the manual says
ipassenger wrote:
One way to do this would be with a really slow square wave lfo, set to trigger mode and set to the value you'd pattern locked (in your case pitch of the kick) but with the depth of the lfo kept at 0.

Now by assigning the depth of the LFO to a scene, you should be able to move the whole sequence of pattern locks in one direction or the other. In your example, move all of the drum locks up or down in pitch. What you couldn't do is change the pattern altogether, you could only shift one way or another, bit like what you said with the slices.

interesting
I like this kind of lateral thinking that Elektron instruments encourage!
Boo
SecretMusic wrote:
...p-locked values do not get altered by scenes, as the manual says

Am I reading that "...locked scene parameters have priority over parameter locks..." wrong then? I interpreted that to mean that a parameter that's locked in a scene will override a parameter that's locked on a trig.

I guess I'm going to have to try this now.
Boo
Octatrack DPS-1
Cheers guys.

I've just thought of a practical reason why what I mean isn't possible right now.

When you hold down a scene button to start scene-locking parameters, the trig buttons switch so you can select a scene. To do what I'm talking about you would need to have access to the sequencer trigs as you are holding down the scene button.

I suppose I can do a complete shift in sounds by having two different loops on one sample file, and then scene-locking the 'start' parameter. But that trick is probably old news by now!

EDIT: My understanding of that sentence in the manual is that scene-locks override p-locks.
Game & Watch
scrag wrote:
SecretMusic wrote:
...p-locked values do not get altered by scenes, as the manual says

Am I reading that "...locked scene parameters have priority over parameter locks..." wrong then? I interpreted that to mean that a parameter that's locked in a scene will override a parameter that's locked on a trig.

I guess I'm going to have to try this now.

No, your right originally. Scenes overpower p-locks.
Boo
Tested!

OK... so I have a track where different slices of a loop are p-locked to steps in a pattern. I created a scene in that pattern where the slice parameter is p-locked to "1".

Using the crossfader to switch to that scene makes every step of the pattern play slice 1. That's kind of what I expected from my reading of the manual.

Am I missing a point here...?
Game & Watch
gliiitches wrote:
Cheers guys.

I've just thought of a practical reason why what I mean isn't possible right now.

When you hold down a scene button to start scene-locking parameters, the trig buttons switch so you can select a scene. To do what I'm talking about you would need to have access to the sequencer trigs as you are holding down the scene button.

I suppose I can do a complete shift in sounds by having two different loops on one sample file, and then scene-locking the 'start' parameter. But that trick is probably old news by now!

EDIT: My understanding of that sentence in the manual is that scene-locks override p-locks.

Oh so you want to use a scene to effectively cross fade to a different pattern within a track. Yeah it can't do that at all. Maybe if one day we get ghost tracks, track patterns that are hidden, you could then cross fade between the live one and one of the ghost track patterns. Wouldn't put money on that happening though.
Go to top Post Reply