As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video)
Re:Octatrack Transitions & Crossfader Demo (Video) 12 Years, 10 Months ago
Ok this is awkward. I accidently changed projects, and when trying to recreate this again I ran into some trouble. The OT samples like normal using the rec and play trigs, but the playback is pitched down, and turning the pitch encoder does not change that. But when I stop the master sequencer (MnM) and just play the OT it plays back in the right tune and tempo.

So, it turns out the MnM (master) track 1 is trigging the OT track 1. (Mind you, I did a live show on saturday with the exact same settings and everything went flawlessly). If I change settings on the OT to only recieve clock, it does not start when I press start on the MnM. If I change the root channel of the MnM it still does not change anything. The only thing that makes it all work is Muting track 1 of the MnM entirely. I've spent two hours now, manual in hand, loads of forum
topics up, Dubathonic on the chat and we just can't figure out whats wrong.

WHat's really annoying is that this worked so fine before, so I know its possible
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
^What Trond said.

Though I don't have a MnM (and therefore can't speak to the specific MIDI issue that he's described here), I'll mention that I spent a fair amount of time last night trying to get his/Nocturne's method to work so I could transition between my MD tracks. I'd follow the instructions to the letter, but something wouldn't be right, so I'd scrap the part/pattern and start over again.

I've only had the OT for about two weeks and I'm obviously a noob all over again, but what was really strange was that the results I got seemed to be different every time. Examples:

-OT samples some of the 64-step loop, but not all of it.
-OT samples none of the loop at all.
-OT samples the entire loop but plays it back erratically (sometimes the entire loop, sometimes cuts it off early).
-Noticeable volume variations between one sample run and another (though I'm not adjusting any level knobs after gainstaging it in the first place)
-Placing a Play Trig causes the sample to loop normally, but removing it causes the loop to trig every 4 steps.
-Odd sound at the starting point of each loop, almost like a puff of air

...I'd chalk it up to my vast inexperience if the OT's performance was consistent, but the variations make me wonder if something deeper is happening. Perhaps it's related to the MIDI issues Trond noticed, perhaps not. (Using MD as master, OT as slave.)

Anyone got ideas here? Obviously some people are having plenty of luck with sample transitions using 0.998E, which we're both using.
Admin
i can't be helpful with the specific problem you guys are experiencing (as i don't use the OT that way) but if you are being so methodical about things and experiencing erratic behavior, I would recommend sending your reports to Elektron. Be as specific and articulate as you can in describing the problem, what you expected to happen, and what actually happened. Being able to recreate the problem and describing how to do it is best, particularly if you get different results from the same steps/methods.
Goomba
This is fantastic!! Btw what I was missing in the setup I posted about was the Hold setting to allow me to manually record the inputs. Thanks for your help!!
TrondC wrote:
Ok this is awkward. I accidently changed projects, and when trying to recreate this again I ran into some trouble. The OT samples like normal using the rec and play trigs, but the playback is pitched down, and turning the pitch encoder does not change that. But when I stop the master sequencer (MnM) and just play the OT it plays back in the right tune and tempo.

So, it turns out the MnM (master) track 1 is trigging the OT track 1. (Mind you, I did a live show on saturday with the exact same settings and everything went flawlessly). If I change settings on the OT to only recieve clock, it does not start when I press start on the MnM. If I change the root channel of the MnM it still does not change anything. The only thing that makes it all work is Muting track 1 of the MnM entirely. I've spent two hours now, manual in hand, loads of forum
topics up, Dubathonic on the chat and we just can't figure out whats wrong.

WHat's really annoying is that this worked so fine before, so I know its possible

Spent another hour today, same frustrating results. I've treid every midi setting I could find, but I have to turn off the midi for channel 1 completely (on the MnM) to avoid it trigging track 1 of the OT. This is really not an option. I had the whole thing running fine before, and canæt for the life of me figure out a setting on both machines that will allow me to

-have MnM track 1 send Midi sequencer data through the MD and OT and into the Doepfer dark energy (sequencing it)
-have the OT sequencer start when I press start on the MnM
-have this happen, and NOT trigger track 1 of the OT.

If anyone can see what I've overlooked, please let me know,two hours yesterday and one hour today, this is driving me nuts... especially so because it DID work flawlessly

a bit of a derail here, but if others have similar problems I'd like to know, as that could mean its a bug and not my lack of proper midi routing...
Chain Chomp
Cant you just change the midi channels on the OT? Or set the midichannel for OT track one to "off"?

Har ikke lest igjennom tråden så nøye, så unnskyld hvis du allerede har testa dette.
King Koopa
change the RX midichannel of track 1,
as thomas sayed ( can be donne in midi setup )
lostinmanuals wrote:
change the RX midichannel of track 1,
as thomas sayed ( can be donne in midi setup )

Thanx guys, I am pretty sure I already did that, I am away from the OT now, but will try again when I get home. I'll also write down every setting I've tried that does not work to see if there is an error somewhere else in the chain too..
Hook stuff up to a MIDI monitor (I use 'MIDI Monitor' on OSX, I'm sure there's loads of others). Might not solve the problem but at least you'll be able to at least see what the MNM is throwing out. Also do the same with the cable that's going INTO the OT (if the MIDI is not taking a direct path from the MNM->OT). Again, might just shed some light on what's going on.
neilbaldwin wrote:
Hook stuff up to a MIDI monitor (I use 'MIDI Monitor' on OSX, I'm sure there's loads of others). Might not solve the problem but at least you'll be able to at least see what the MNM is throwing out. Also do the same with the cable that's going INTO the OT (if the MIDI is not taking a direct path from the MNM->OT). Again, might just shed some light on what's going on.

Thanx, I didn't even know such a device existed. adding to the list
Go to top Post Reply