As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT - effects discussion (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT - effects discussion
Re:OT - effects discussion 13 Years ago
OT effects are really cool i think, the way you can combine 2 effects before or after each other is very creative. for example having LO-FI effect before filter is a killer!

Reverb is very nice to glue up pad and synth sounds, chorus is very tasty for having dodgey sounds

Compression and EQ effects do the job really well for me, Compression at the master track especially.
  The topic has been locked.
personally i find the fx to be quite good. it's very useful to learn the hidden functions of each effect. for example setting the delay to freeze mode friggin kicks ass for doing live glitch-stutter mayhem, but u have to know that send=0 triggers the effect. also if yr doing delay time modulation, it is important to choose either tape or digital style emulation... if u want pitching, slewed fx, u need tape mode, if u want stepped delay time changes u want tape mode off.

the compressor, honestly, is excellent, but there's a trick to using it. turn the RMS knob in the sub-menu all the way up. it is now compressing peaks instead of RMS. no doubt if your having trouble getting predictable results out of the compressor, you have it set to RMS compression, which is not what most of us want

that said i would give any thing for a gain reduction meter...

i do wish you could place delays and verbs pre-filter. i like to use lots of feedback and a filter helps control some of the rogue frequencies of a feedback blast.

honestly, based on the hardware layout, i doubt we're gonna get more fx slots, so you'll wanna learn to deal with what's offered, hehe. i agree w/ someone elses statements about a filter pre-fx for every channel... but i just dont see room on the AMP or LFO pages for this to happen, unless all the filter setting are hidden in the LFO sub-menu.

the EQ's, by the way, are great, quite transparent and very surgical. in case you don't know this, almost NO digital EQ on earth short of UAD et al will sound good with BOOSTS... so try just *cutting* w/ the EQ. it's a great surgery tool. the high-pass of the filter is also a good EQ/surgery tool, and if all u need is a DC/low-end filter, you have that function built into the filter (try switching hi-pass to 24db!)

the modulation fx are fine, they are rich and high quality, tho i agree they are not very "wet"... they're more for nice stereo processing. if u want a really wet sounding modulation effect, use the Delay effect, LFO modulating delay time, high feedback, send set low, etc.

the reverb is great too, but i wish it had dry vs wet separate level controls instead of just a Mix knob. i lose a lot of gain with full mix verb, it's tough to get a full drone out of it, would be nice if it had some built in gain.

my general view towards the fx is that they are meant as little jack-knife tools more than radical sound destruction processors. the sound destruction happens with slicing, plocks, crazy scene actions, rate and pitch modulation, LFO's, etc... the fx are just there to help u get it to sound "right".... MHO, YMMV.
Cappy
Haha, I hadn't noticed that RMS all the way down was the RMS setting, not the Peak setting. With a high ratio, the attack all the way up and the threshold around noon, I've been getting great transient designer type fx, which sound great with the mix knob somewhere in the middle
Chain Chomp
data-line wrote:
OT effects are really cool i think, the way you can combine 2 effects before or after each other is very creative. for example having LO-FI effect before filter is a killer!

+1 this is my favorite effect on the OT!
I love the compressor.
Try extreme-ish settings on a breakbeat that has a somewhat short release... not too short, but so that it's fading away before the next gate. Compress the hell out of that that and it's time for some jilted pumping (not sidechained, mind you) grooviness.

I'm a big fan of all the other effects too.
Locked delay with the scenes and various lengths on different scenes.
The filters are buttery (digital or not) and overdrive real nicely in the right situation/setup.
Killer Beez
dogoftears wrote:

honestly, based on the hardware layout, i doubt we're gonna get more fx slots, so you'll wanna learn to deal with what's offered, hehe. i agree w/ someone elses statements about a filter pre-fx for every channel... but i just dont see room on the AMP or LFO pages for this to happen, unless all the filter setting are hidden in the LFO sub-menu.

Somebody else once suggested that pressing both FX buttons at the same time could be a good way to access a third effect block. For example this method could be used to access the hypothetical filter for each track. It would be ideal if the routing could be a set so that the filter could be placed pre/post the other two FX. Of course I would still want a filter as a choice for the other two FX blocks. Sometimes a guy just needs a more filter!

[b]SeanPrice wrote:[b]

I've been getting great transient designer type fx, which sound great with the mix knob somewhere in the middle

A designated transient designer would be a really nice addition to the OT FX palette IMO.
Also, on the topic of filter, a fixed filter bank FX would be f*ckin awesome!!!
Cappy
i kinda doubt we will ever see a third fx block on any of the tracks. Even if it was just a dedicated filter per track accessed via [FX1 +FX2], i bet it's a dsp horsepower issue. It would be nice to be able to have a delay and verb on a single track. I don't know if its a ram limitation, but it would be nice to at least be able to dynamically allocate those resources by having two on one and non on another. I would also kill to have p-lock and scene access to the setup menus for all the pages, but especially the fx
Boo
drum'n'noise: http://www.speakonion.com
NYC's wreckedest sounds: http://www.immigrantbreastnest.com
I'm liking the reverb most. My friend who has an MD bitches about the MD verb a lot, so I was worried, but I find that it sounds just like I hoped it would and has just the right controls to make it flexible but not too fiddly.

I'm also using the filter A LOT A LOT A LOT, and while I won't reach for it before my other filters, it's great when used with LFOs, scenes, etc.

The distortion in the lo-fi effect sounds great, but it adds sooo much volume, and there's no way to turn it down via a scene so that I can sweep in distortion without overpowering the whole mix.

I find the delay passable, but there's this weird flanging/pinging on the repeats that weirds me out, and I wish when you sent something mono to the ping pong, it would actually ping pong. There's plenty of true stereo algos to do that. No big, though.

The mod FX aren't my taste at all (I miss my E-MU RFX Phaser!), and I don't have much use for EQ or comp for what I'm doing with the OT. I can't think of any FX I would like them to add, but I really would like wet/dry and volume params for the lo-fi effect.

Overall, I'd say the FX aren't special on their own, but become super fun with the other OT powers.
Hammer Bro
SeanPrice wrote:
I would also kill to have p-lock and scene access to the setup menus for all the pages, but especially the fx

Snap!
Go to top Post Reply