As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox OT - More chromatic exploration (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT - More chromatic exploration
OT - More chromatic exploration 13 Years, 1 Month ago
Following on from the other video, here's another experiment. I got a bit better with the recording this time - invested in a little gorilla tripod for my phone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61BWXKSp3NE

I wondered if it was possible to make a TB303-style bass by using a single-cycle square-wave loop as opposed to slicing up a bass-line loop. I actually ended up using 2 waveforms 2 octaves apart as programming chromatic stuff is a little limited (as of OS 0.99e)

The two drum tracks are loops from the Loopmaster samples (supplied with the OT) but the bass-line is NOT a looped/sliced phrase. It's all programmed by plocking the pitch and envelope parameters and trig-less trigs.

I'm mainly swapping between Hold on/off in the Filter setup (I really wish this was exposed to plocking/modulation) and opening/closing the filter with the cross-fader.

The pitch-bends on the bass are done by defining a custom LFO shape that is an upwards slope and applying it to the Pitch by plocking the LFO depth where a bend is required. Only goes up but you could easily define a second LFO with a down-slope for bends down I guess.

For interest, the 4th track has some little synths notes again using the square-wave.
  The topic has been locked.
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
Re:OT - More chromatic exploration 13 Years, 1 Month ago
So this is taking a wave form and producing melody like the dpro machine on mnm.

Sweet.

Those filters are pretty wicked.

Just need to get me a job and an OT will be high on the reward-to-self list.
Game & Watch
Fine job Neil
Game & Watch
wow! this demo reveals the really nice nature of the OT´s filters!
excellent!
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
Sounds frikking awesome! Octaceed indeed!
Admin
Duncan wrote:
Those filters are pretty wicked.

+1
Yoshi
Stop making me want the OT!
Thanks

You could take this idea a LOT further by having a second track with a neighbour machine. The (Filter) Distortion wasn't really working in the way I wanted. It was just destroying the sound as opposed to overdriving it - probably at the wrong place in the effect chain? And it could've really benefitted from some compression.

If you're doing this kind of stuff, here's a tip: it's a lot easier to play the sample lower than the original rate than higher. This is because setting Pitch to -12 gives you one octave lower but then if you adjust the Rate to 32, you get an octave lower again (setting it to 16 gets you even lower but probably unusable). Pitching the sample upwards you've only got 0 to +12 on the Pitch.
that sounds pimping!!!!!!!!!!!
wicked stuff. i'm getting really excited about getting my OT now.
Go to top Post Reply