As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT tricks
MK7
Killer Beez
Re:OT tricks 13 Years, 2 Months ago
this packaging of 64 one-shot samples into one sample file sounds very useful to me. but, it also sounds like a lot of work. is there any efficient way to cut 64 samples down to the same length and sequentially put them into one audio file? some kind of batch processing tool?
  The topic has been locked.
its pretty quick in any DAW. Placing samples on every 1/8 or 1/4 depending on the length of the samples. The only thing that matters is that there is equal time between each sample so you can create a slice grid afterwards. The only downside with this technique is that you can pretty quick fill sample memory this way. I guess this issue will be solve when we can slice static machines.
Chain Chomp
Glitch.. yawn.
Audiolog wrote:
Its actully kind of nice to have one long waves with multiple samples in catagories.

example 64 bassdrums that you can slice and then select, 64 highhats and so on.

it speeds up the workflow alot ! when making single shot patterns.

the same can be applied to loops offcourse.

Solid tip. Thx.. Anything for a faster workflow
MK7
Killer Beez
Audiolog wrote:
its pretty quick in any DAW. Placing samples on every 1/8 or 1/4 depending on the length of the samples. The only thing that matters is that there is equal time between each sample so you can create a slice grid afterwards. The only downside with this technique is that you can pretty quick fill sample memory this way. I guess this issue will be solve when we can slice static machines.

okay, thx Audiolog!
Hammer Bro
Ok guys, I know this is in the manual, but still I thought it wasn't obvious so I'll post it here.

About copying and pasting things :

Many things can be copied/pasted on the OT. You can copy a part and paste it on another part. To do so, in the part menu, place the cursor on the part you want to copy, press FUNCTION + RECORD (copy). The text "copy part X" will appear. Move the cursor to the part you want it to be pasted (which can be in another bank of the project) and press FUNCTION + STOP (paste). The text "pasted on part Y" will appear. Done.

But there are other trickier copy/paste operations, like pages of a track. For example, if you work on a 16 steps pattern, and you worked a lot on one of the track, but now you need it to be 32 steps. You go into the scale menu and put the master scale to 32 steps. But now, your track with 27 parameter locks on the first 16 steps isn't copied on the last 16 steps of the 32 steps pattern. Instead of reprogramming everything on that second "page", you can copy the first page and paste it on the second. You need to be in record mode (doing so by pressing record). With the scale button, make sure you're on the page you want to copy (most likely the first, in this case). Press SCALE + RECORD (and not function + record - that's what isn't obvious - function + record copies the entire track). You should see a message confirming that the page was copied. Now go to the second page with the scale button. Press SCALE + STOP (again, not function + stop). The first page will be pasted on the second page. Bingo.

And lastly, you can copy a step and paste it on another step, which can save you time if, for example, you made many parameter locks on a step, including changing the flex sample, etc. and you want to have another step just like it. To do so, make sure you're in recording mode. Press and hold the step you want to copy, and press RECORD. You should see a message confirming that the step was copied. Then, press and hold the step were you want it to be pasted to, and press STOP. You should see a confirmation that the step was pasted. Banana.

I updated the wiki...
^^i thought these were actually known as they are same to MNM and MD. To be honest i can not live without these functions

great addition to the tips!
Hammer Bro
Yep, but I've seen people asking for those features in the feature requests, so it must not be obvious.

And to be perfectly honest, I only found out yesterday about the page and step copy/paste. Which I didn't know were doable on the MD? I got to try that! I guess I never really had to use them on the MD... Since when you go from 16 steps to 32, it automatically copies what you had on the first 16 steps. I also find myself making MUCH more parameter locks with the OT than with the MD, and on the MD I never really thought that I would save time by copying a step on another. With the OT, on the other hand...
yea true that! OT is a parameter lock galore!!!!!!!!!!

btw, i thought 4 parts was not enough for 16 patterns but hey, IT IS ENOUGH with proper locks!!! its just crazy!
Hammer Bro
data-line wrote:
yea true that! OT is a parameter lock galore!!!!!!!!!!

btw, i thought 4 parts was not enough for 16 patterns but hey, IT IS ENOUGH with proper locks!!! its just crazy!

I agree. I thought the same about the 4 parts and now I think it's perfect!
Chain Chomp
Re:OT tricks 13 Years, 1 Month ago
Wavetable trick!

I tried the tip in this thread with several singlecycle waveforms glued together. Witch sounded cool! But one problem was that you cant change slice with triggerless trigs. So what i did was making a one bar wavetable loop on my MNM. Just used the ddraw machine, and made random waveform changes with an lfo. Try it with both smooth wavetable changes, and hard crunchy ones. Then sampled that loop on the OT. (adjusted the start of the sample to remove the delay bug) Then you have one bar of evolving wavetable mess.

Loop the sample, set rate to timestrech, and timestrech algoritm to beat. (You can try both normal, and beat. Gives sligthly different results.) Under Playback setup

Use a regular trig on the first step. Then use triggerless trigs for the rest. Plock some pitch changes to get a melody going. Under AMP setup, set amp env, and filter env to R+T so they are trigged by triggerless trigs. Then adjust amp env and filter env to taste.

After you pressed play to hear your result, convert the first trig, to triggerless trig. (Function + trig) Very important, or the sample will restart for each loop.

Play around with extreme timestrech settings. Now you will have an long slow evolving loop of granular like synthesis. Or faster if you want that. When you have extreme settings, like +-1 the timestrech algoritm will smooth out the brute changes of the different wt samples.

Ohh, i love the OT more for each day!
Go to top Post Reply