As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Science Labs Re:Machinedrum-UW chopping up samples? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Machinedrum-UW chopping up samples?
Chain Chomp
MDUW/MD/MONO
SURROGATES on DVD now!
Re:Machinedrum-UW chopping up samples? 13 Years, 2 Months ago
oh, if they could only sneak in the timestretch knob from the OT Flex machine into the UW, that would be swell.
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
The Seadweller wrote:
Well, Elekton could give the UW some more functionality. No need for a big expansion. Something like easier croping, triming, they can offer that.
After all MD-UW has a sampler, should they stop developing it in order to force people buy the OT ?

You'll have to ask them about that Don't get me wrong though; I agree with you there are basic functions that would make the UW functionality better. I just have a feeling that's not where they'll be putting their efforts.
Admin
brettweldele wrote:
oh, if they could only sneak in the timestretch knob from the OT Flex machine into the UW, that would be swell.

I like the timestretch function in the MD, but it's definitely quite crude, far from the smoothness of the OT I guess?
Goomba
by scroll manually does this mean shortening the length of the sample to get the part of the sample i want?? because i have loads of samples i want to sort out and would be cool if i can put them on machinedrum and shorten them?? i was also looking at the mpc 1000 for chopping up samples and then putting a beat together but trying to work out which would be better???
Hammer Bro
MD MKII 10th Anniversary Edition
Monomachine MKII
Facebook Page
to picnic1,

yes...with the MD you can take a longer sample and pick out which parts you want to sound on particular trigs. but, you would need to assign a TRACK for each one-hit sound.

you would assign the sample to EACH of the separate sounds you would like,
e.g. kick, snare, hat, would be 3 separate MD tracks.

then you would play with the STRT and END parameters on each track to find the specific area of the overall sample.

peace
Chain Chomp
MDUW/MD/MONO
SURROGATES on DVD now!
Nils wrote:
brettweldele wrote:

I like the timestretch function in the MD, but it's definitely quite crude, far from the smoothness of the OT I guess?

Unless i missed something, the UW still only does old school sampler pitch stretching. no time stretch.

I like some artifacts with my stretching.
Admin
brettweldele wrote:
Unless i missed something, the UW still only does old school sampler pitch stretching. no time stretch.

I like some artifacts with my stretching.

But then you missed something

Albeit crude, here's one technique that does:
pitch shifting without affecting sample length and
time stretching without affecting pitch.

I'm not in front of my MD atm, so please excuse any errors in the following description:

1. Choose a track loaded with a sample and set RETRIG to 127, retrig SPEED to roughly 20-30 (?).
2. In the LFO menu, assign a rising linear ramp to START. Set trig mode to TRIG. Set SPEED to a fairly low value, and depth to 127.

The sample will now retrig at a fairly high speed, but the LFO will make the retrig point move throughout the sample, while playing. You will need to adjust LFO speed, LFO depth and retrig time to get a useable result.

- Retrig speed governs the "size" of the chunk to be played before the next retrig, ie the coarseness of stretch.
- LFO speed governs the speed of time stretch - the lower the speed, the longer the sample, and vice versa.
- LFO depth governs the size of the jump from one retrig point to the next. At lower values, it will only play through parts of your sample.

So in effect, you can do pitch shifting with fixed length by adjusting the pitch parameter. Since the retrig and LFO settings govern the length of the played sample, the pitch parameter won't affect length.
You can also do time stretching by adjusting the LFO speed. This parameter alone will determine the length of the sample.

Using other LFO waveforms you can do non-linear stretching:
- An exponential ramp will eg let you play a loop with falling or rising speed. Start off with 300bpm and end up with 20bpm.
- A combination of different LFOs (eg LFO mix parameter to 64, combine waveforms) will give quite unpredictable sample playback, falling and rising speeds
- The random waveform will play back your sample at randomly selected points in the sample.

And... it's a good thing you like artifacts
Boo
blackshark wrote:
Microscopial wrote:
part with your money anyway youll have a blast

the above-mentioned manual solutions could be automated with Ruin&Wesen's Minicommand i guess, but you'd have to program it.

hey all, long time listener, first time caller...

Here's a link to a Minicommand firmware that I wrote which does exactly this and a few things more - like reordering / randomizing the step orders and slice directions..

http://forum.ruinwesen.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=94&page=1#Item_0
Admin
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
Non linear Twin LFO Start point with Retrig adjusts and pitch sweep example - a bit long and wankery.

http://soundcloud.com/discombob/machinedrum-uw-lfo-to-strt
Go to top Post Reply