As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear DeEncoding (or why you don't want to take the knobs off) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: DeEncoding (or why you don't want to take the knobs off)
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
Re:DeEncoding (or why you don't want to take the knobs off) 13 Years, 2 Months ago
^apparently not, there is a thread on this regarding the SFX 6, and the guys at elektron getting these things made up.
This seems to be a bit of a stretch in my mind, However, the encoders inside are unmarked and uncoded, which is unusual in my experience and suggest that the above is true, otherwise i would be finding replacements in mouser or farnell or digikey.
I don't know if the MK2's have plastic spindles or not.
Then of course theres the matter of the pin layout for the pcb.....
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
Re:DeEncoding (or why you don't want to take the knobs off) 13 Years, 2 Months ago
Thanks for the research Hz! This will definitely come in handy.

Afaik the Elektron encoders are custom built for Elektron. At least they were when the MD was introduced.
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
No probs,

I will also repeat from another thread.

Lube up those knobs when you replace them - so they come off easier next time.
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe

DSC_0329 by Hz-C, on Flickr
Nice and clean please.

DSC_0328 by Hz-C, on Flickr
Wanna se daylight through those bad boys

DSC_0330 by Hz-C, on Flickr

Thanks Maplin this was a lot less painfull than I had anticipated. Now for a mug of tea. Those encoders can arrive anytime they like.

Coo, whilst the irons hot - makes me feel like doing a rad kit. Anyone got one - got stuff i may trade in the For Sale threads
Boo
Nils wrote:

Afaik the Elektron encoders are custom built for Elektron. At least they were when the MD was introduced.

Well, that's unfortunate.. I mean if they're custom built why not have them built a bit more rugged? Or at least buy the cheap version of something that can be replaced with something more solid.

I've had my MnM for a year and the knobs've always been wiggly, I would preemptively replace them with something more solid if it were possible.
Cappy
this thread gets even more creepy to me. i have a broken encoder on my MD - i just don't dare opening it, circuit bending a toy keyboard for 30 € is one thing, but that...

@daren, hertzian
kudos guys, now i know whom to ask for that indepth knowledge about the HARDware.
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
A steady hand and a methodical outlook comes in handy.

If you see a bit of dust under the glass and you want to clean it - think.

Seriously.

The last thing you want to do is take those knobs off.

We are inquisitive folk, we take things apart - for no good reason, thinking it will make things better.

It seldom does. Thats why I went to college and did electronics for a while. (I say a while, I stopped after a year - incredibly dull time)
Hero of Winds
KIKOSHO FASHO
While not the tech-head... I can honestly say:
Holy f*ck! The board looks sexy with the daylight pouring through it.
100% sci-fi psychedelic art.
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
RubixGroove wrote:

100% sci-fi psychedelic art.

Yup. Thanks.

I was looking at that for quite a while, thought it would make a good snap.
You can get a better picture through flickr if you want.

Careful, you'll end up going to Cyberdog.
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
Let me know when you got it Maelstrom, then I'll take it down, feel a bit cheeky.
Go to top Post Reply