As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear OT Problem with recording (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: OT Problem with recording
Cappy
MD UW MKII, MNM MKII, OT DPS-1, A4
Re:OT Problem with recording 13 Years, 3 Months ago
track button, track button, button track, button track....Aha !!!!

thank You for Your patience!!
  The topic has been locked.
no one wants to name samples in the middle of a performance
Goomba
Steril707 wrote:
This thread leaves me scared...

I'm sure it'll be better with an OS rev or two...
Chain Chomp
PEACE
Damn, indeed a little scary to read all this.
I guess I´ll get real sklilled with my prepared loops first and hopefully an OS in the near
future will improve the workflow a little when doing recordings with the OT. Recording with the OT wasn´t primarly important anyway for me for now, but an easy workflow on this would definately be a goal to do so more in the future.

Still waiting for my OT to arrive though, probably next week
Game & Watch
Its really not so bad, but it is a fair bit more complex than the MD and MnM, I had the MD and MnM totally down in a few hours with only a casual glance at the manual, the OT takes a bit longer and more RTFM. I imagine I will get just as fast on it as the MD and MnM within a few weeks/months.

After a few days though the Elektron way kicks in and you start to click with it, you'll love it
Chain Chomp
Steril707 wrote:
This thread leaves me scared...

+1
Chain Chomp
Endosine wrote:
This has me thinking about how recording should work, so I figure I'll make a list of steps as I'd like to see it working.

Press a track button and a record button to enter record mode - EG T5 and Record CD
- This sets Track 5 to use the Flex Machine set to Recorder 5 (by default, can be changed in Record Settings Page)
- This action brings up the Record Settings Page automatically and begins monitoring input

Record Settings Page would have the following parameters (press Track + Record to show)
Record Settings Page
Source Mode RLength
Trig Mtype Recorder

Source sets [AB, CD, T1-8, MainOut] as the input
Mode sets [X & Y, X+Y, X, Y] as the stereo input/summing mode (As is the AB,A,B,A+B now)
Rlength sets the number of bars to record for per trigger
Trig sets Recording trigger type [Oneshot, Gate, Threshold] - Pretty close to how it works now
Mtype - allows you to change the machine type [Flex, Static, Loopa, etc]
Recorder allows you to change the recorder slot [R1-R8] Default is to match the current track

Once all settings are good the Octatrack waits for a trigger
- either a step added to the sequencer [Trig Step]
- Or a press of the record button [Manual Record]

Once a trigger has occurred the Octatrack switches to the Record Page and records to the active recorder slot for RLength bars. Once the recording length has passed the Recorder flips from monitoring the input to playing back the recorded passage. At this stage any record steps would become playback steps.

The Record Page contains the functions below assigned to Encoders. Pressing the Encoder enters the edit view appropriate to the function. (Press Function + Record button to show)
Record Page
Redo Settings Save
Normalize Trim Slice

Redo clears the buffer and returns to monitoring the inputs and waiting for a trigger
Settings returns you to the Settings page
Save opens the naming dialog to save the sample
Normalize launches the normalize process
Trim opens the Sample Trim Editor
Slice opens the Sample Slice Editor

From any of these pages Exit will return you to Record Page.

I think this would simplify the process a lot and would allow one to redo samples quickly till you captured the source right. I'm thinking this is a little closer to the manual, but I think the manual seems to be skipping some of the automatic assignment stuff and the playback steps seem to be a bit more complex than this outline. I'm so excited by the concept of the Octatrack, I couldn't sleep last night knowing it was arriving today. I'd love to see it match our crazy expectations. Hope someone from Elektron might be reading this, Do you think I should I email this to them?

Goomba
I have a feeling I've created a monster here... Truth is the process appears a lot simpler in the manual so I imagine this will be easier with 1.0.
Chain Chomp
PEACE
Endosine wrote:
I have a feeling I've created a monster here... Truth is the process appears a lot simpler in the manual so I imagine this will be easier with 1.0.

No worry.
Currently it seems like a bit of a hassle, but I find it important that people are willing to share their experiences here, so that we all find current solutions easier. Since the manual appears to let this to be handled much easier I don´t really have a problem with it and I am convinced that elektron is working hard to improve this as soon as possible.
My recent weeks of going through the forum make me feel good about elektron and their obligation they feel towards their users.
Chain Chomp
Glitch.. yawn.
Re:OT Problem with recording 13 Years, 2 Months ago
Guys, I suggested this to them..

Problem: External sampling is too long and requires multiple fingers which is hard to work with while solo recording.

Try playing piano live with one hand and recording to track 8 manually!!

Solution: automatically assign a track and flex slot upon holding track+record (ab or cd or both) to nominate inputs. This is standby. Have cue turned on automatically for that selected input. Then press record (ab or cd or both) to record to the nominated track. Suggest active red light as conformation while recording. Buffer to flex.. If time max exceeded, save static to card. Upon completion, OT names and saves automatically so user can freely, without interruption, continue to sample live and fast to multiple tracks.

Note:
Internal track input(s) could be bottom trigs + record (ab or cd or both).

Oh and while recording, it should always default to trim view to view the wave. Almost everybody always prefers that while in session like most daws. Cheers
Go to top Post Reply