As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear STATUS - The Octa has landed! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: STATUS - The Octa has landed!
Chain Chomp
Re:STATUS - The Octa has landed! 13 Years, 3 Months ago
Nils wrote:
22tape wrote:
just thinking aloud here-- there's gonna have to be A LOT of p-locking going on to pan each machine (for the workaround) and fx--for example, if you want to add different amounts of reverb to different machines/samples on the same track you're gonna have to p-lock every new instance of the sample on the track. for every sample. for the length of the song. could become quite tedious...

As far as I'm concerned, p-locking is what Elektron gear is all about. P-locking is THE tool to give you detail control over every aspect of the sound, on each step. I've done single patterns with more than 200 p-locks. Your post just made me realize I'll love the OT to bits.

i understand all of that. i used to own an mduwII a few years ago. i loved the p-lock concept! but, FOR ME, the fun and easy workflow that p-locking presents would be lost in HAVING to p-lock panning, reverb, and every other fx for every new sample on a track. it would just become tedious.
  The topic has been locked.
My big quesition is everyone around you dying when you play with it?

That's what I am looking forward to!!! HAHAHA
I will change my name to "MICROHATE"
Chain Chomp
Steril707 wrote:
Maybe I don't get something here, but what's so hard about putting the kickdrum on the first track, snare on the second, hihats on the third, usw?

it's not that it would be hard to do, just not practical for composing, for me. yes, put your kicks on track 1. snares on 2. hi hats on 3. bass on 4. reserve track 8 for master fx. then you'd have 3 tracks left before you even started on melodic elements + transition build up/breaks. that's not a lot. which is fine. it doesn't work for me. no big deal. you guys enjoy!
Chain Chomp
Toni wrote:
22tape wrote:
i don't have an mnm/md.
Ok, I should have seen this earlier, because this explains a lot! How the Octatrack works and what is the concept will be very hard to understand if you dont have experience with other Elektron products. I mean, of course you understand it if you buy the product and then read the manual, but understanding it without the manual and experience will be very hard.

You should study MD/MnM manual a bit to understand how Elektron boxes work. You can get them at the Elektron website.

Hope this helps.

ps. Its one machine per track, not 128 machines per track.

look guys. i'm not retarded

i used to own an MD. i know the concepts behind elektron's design. and i do love it. but if it doesn't work for me, it doesn't work. it's okay that elektrons machines don't work for everyone!

however, thanks very much for the feedback ya'll!
Chain Chomp
By the way toni, it is 128 per
Admin
22tape wrote:

22tape, Toni is correct: it is 128 SAMPLES (i.e. audio files) per Track, and each Track contains 1 MACHINE (i.e. playback "device")
Chain Chomp
papertiger wrote:
22tape wrote:

22tape, Toni is correct: it is 128 SAMPLES (i.e. audio files) per Track, and each Track contains 1 MACHINE (i.e. playback "device")

ah, i stand corrected. someone had confirmed that there is 128 machines per track. thanks, papertiger.
Boo
Octatrack DPS-1
Well, I for one am not disappointed by what I've read so far.

I'm a bit surprised (and maybe that's me being naive) that people are talking so much about using the OT for sampling classic drum machine sounds, and wanting a machine that sequences/samples in the same way as other gear out there.

That's not a criticism - please don't take it that way - it's meant as an observation. It's just... Where's the spirit of adventure, people?!

I think whatever perceived limitations the OT has, I'm sure people will find a way round them and it will end up being a classic instrument for sampling and sequencing in a unique and new way. I guarantee that given time people will be producing tracks on this thing and saying that they could only get those results on an OT. No way will this thing be relegated to live-use only.
Killer Beez
monomachine mk2, Analog 4, boss dr110
I'm confused here poly or mono for each track?
Really if it is not poly then it is not for me.
Admin
gliiitches wrote:
No way will this thing be relegated to live-use only.

the entire world would have to be full of tremendously stupid and uncreative people thereby leaving me as a genius: I'll be using it every way EXCEPT live.

M
Go to top Post Reply