As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear STATUS - The Octa has landed! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: STATUS - The Octa has landed!
Chain Chomp
Re:STATUS - The Octa has landed! 13 Years, 4 Months ago
CONGRATULATIONS!

Please post videos when you finally catch your breath...
  The topic has been locked.
Hammer Bro
Ok I admit it, after seeing Darenager's picture of the box content, the GAS slapped me back in the face full throttle. I want one... Too much cool gear coming out in a little time frame.
Jims computer beats wrote:
Ok I admit it, after seeing Darenager's picture of the box content, the GAS slapped me back in the face full throttle. I want one... Too much cool gear coming out in a little time frame.

this.

or a Virus C

or both!
22tape wrote:
babyjaws wrote:
I think , as i saw someone else posted on this forum, cant remember who, that you have to really get into the spirit of what elektron designed this machine for, and what im getting is that its not so much a composition& writing tool, although ofc cool things can be done, but more of a live performance playback machine, ie: get your backing tracks into it for live mashup mayhem in a live setting.
so as far as chords etc, stick with your daw, then sample it!

ya you're right. it's defo designed for live performance. it's just personally, i can't justify the expense unless i can actually compose in it as well. not to mention, it would fulfill the ultimate for me--being able to manipulate details of composition itself. live. not just adding/playing over the composition, or using fx over the whole track.

22tape, u dont need a octa! Your stuff is already freaking awesome without it... oh wait.. how phat are the tracks going to be when you do use one.....
King Koopa
Maybe I don't get something here, but what's so hard about putting the kickdrum on the first track, snare on the second, hihats on the third, usw?

Have you expected to sequence all of that stuff in one track? And, given what we know about the sequencing in the MD, how?

I, for one, didn't...
Admin
Jims computer beats wrote:

+1. It looks friggin nice
Admin
Re:STATUS - The Octa has landed! 13 Years, 3 Months ago
22tape wrote:
just thinking aloud here-- there's gonna have to be A LOT of p-locking going on to pan each machine (for the workaround) and fx--for example, if you want to add different amounts of reverb to different machines/samples on the same track you're gonna have to p-lock every new instance of the sample on the track. for every sample. for the length of the song. could become quite tedious...

As far as I'm concerned, p-locking is what Elektron gear is all about. P-locking is THE tool to give you detail control over every aspect of the sound, on each step. I've done single patterns with more than 200 p-locks. Your post just made me realize I'll love the OT to bits.
Nils wrote:
22tape wrote:
just thinking aloud here-- there's gonna have to be A LOT of p-locking going on to pan each machine (for the workaround) and fx--for example, if you want to add different amounts of reverb to different machines/samples on the same track you're gonna have to p-lock every new instance of the sample on the track. for every sample. for the length of the song. could become quite tedious...

As far as I'm concerned, p-locking is what Elektron gear is all about. P-locking is THE tool to give you detail control over every aspect of the sound, on each step. I've done single patterns with more than 200 p-locks. Your post just made me realize I'll love the OT to bits.

Amen to that !
Killer Beez
22tape wrote:
i don't have an mnm/md.
Ok, I should have seen this earlier, because this explains a lot! How the Octatrack works and what is the concept will be very hard to understand if you dont have experience with other Elektron products. I mean, of course you understand it if you buy the product and then read the manual, but understanding it without the manual and experience will be very hard.

You should study MD/MnM manual a bit to understand how Elektron boxes work. You can get them at the Elektron website.

Hope this helps.

ps. Its one machine per track, not 128 machines per track.
Chain Chomp
Boelie wrote:

22tape, u dont need a octa! Your stuff is already freaking awesome without it... oh wait.. how phat are the tracks going to be when you do use one.....

thanks, boelie. i appreciate the kind words

unfortunately, it doesn't look like i'll be able to compose like i had hoped on the OT. it's still gonna kick ass for live sampling of existing tracks though. hopefully i'll be able to afford it someday to be able to use it just for that.
Go to top Post Reply