As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear STATUS - The Octa has landed! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: STATUS - The Octa has landed!
Re:STATUS - The Octa has landed! 13 Years, 3 Months ago
anselmi wrote:
why are you so anal with sample cut?

it´s obvious that each track would be monophonic and so cut the next sample...I know several samplers in the same league! and this could be great for some sample tracking...for instance when retrigger a loop is better (for me) to have a monphonic sample track instead of hear the tail of the first shot over the retriggered loop...that´s how d&b born!

I remember lot of people happy when realized that the OT can handle more than 1 sample per track so just take it as an extra from having just one sample per track, not the opposite way!

staccato and legato both have their places

I use both mono and poly voices in my MPC

both for different purposes

pads for instance have huge tails, which will get sliced off

playing 3 tracks just to build a chord is ridiculous
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Aviation Parkway wrote:
anselmi wrote:
why are you so anal with sample cut?

it´s obvious that each track would be monophonic and so cut the next sample...I know several samplers in the same league! and this could be great for some sample tracking...for instance when retrigger a loop is better (for me) to have a monphonic sample track instead of hear the tail of the first shot over the retriggered loop...that´s how d&b born!

I remember lot of people happy when realized that the OT can handle more than 1 sample per track so just take it as an extra from having just one sample per track, not the opposite way!

staccato and legato both have their places

I use both mono and poly voices in my MPC

both for different purposes

pads for instance have huge tails, which will get sliced off

playing 3 tracks just to build a chord is ridiculous

ya that's defininitely a pain
Admin
tIB was here
^ couldnt you just use one track and resample?
Cappy
I think , as i saw someone else posted on this forum, cant remember who, that you have to really get into the spirit of what elektron designed this machine for, and what im getting is that its not so much a composition& writing tool, although ofc cool things can be done, but more of a live performance playback machine, ie: get your backing tracks into it for live mashup mayhem in a live setting.
so as far as chords etc, stick with your daw, then sample it!
Game & Watch
No phase shift on LFOs

Aviation Parkway, you could use upto 7 tracks to create a part, resample onto track 8 etc. Then free up the first 7 tracks again.

I have an MPC and no plans to sell it before or since getting the OT (well, actually I have 2 but will be selling 1)
i think in one way you have to see the OT in the "Trinity" context, or at least together with an MD or MNM...
Chain Chomp
babyjaws wrote:
I think , as i saw someone else posted on this forum, cant remember who, that you have to really get into the spirit of what elektron designed this machine for, and what im getting is that its not so much a composition& writing tool, although ofc cool things can be done, but more of a live performance playback machine, ie: get your backing tracks into it for live mashup mayhem in a live setting.
so as far as chords etc, stick with your daw, then sample it!

ya you're right. it's defo designed for live performance. it's just personally, i can't justify the expense unless i can actually compose in it as well. not to mention, it would fulfill the ultimate for me--being able to manipulate details of composition itself. live. not just adding/playing over the composition, or using fx over the whole track.
Goomba
I suspect also that it will be the paradigm of a new DJ concept...
can't wait to unbox it...
Game & Watch
Chain Chomp
just thinking aloud here-- there's gonna have to be A LOT of p-locking going on to pan each machine (for the workaround) and fx--for example, if you want to add different amounts of reverb to different machines/samples on the same track you're gonna have to p-lock every new instance of the sample on the track. for every sample. for the length of the song. could become quite tedious...
Go to top Post Reply