As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear STATUS - The Octa has landed! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: STATUS - The Octa has landed!
Chain Chomp
Re:STATUS - The Octa has landed! 13 Years, 3 Months ago
Boelie wrote:
Just wait a few months untill Elektron finsihes coding the 1.0 OS.. I sure all of the stuff you are speculating about will be added.

For example, look at what they have added to the MD and Mono's OS since they first came out...........

well, i'm not speculating, i'm just inquiring

i'm no developer, but i don't think that panning is neccessarily a feature request, as much as a design concept decision? (just look at the roland sp's) which if this is the case, it's not likely to be implemented.
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Jims computer beats wrote:
@22 tape : I'm not sure I understand properly the concern about panning, but couldn't you parameter lock the pan of a track differently on each step? It could be a workaround...

cool, i hadn't thought of that. definitely a workaround!
Game & Watch
Yeah its version 0.99 some bits of the OS are not there yet, such as some of the sample jobs, but don't sweat it, there is plenty enough to get your head around as it is, I wouldn't buy it expecting to take it out the box and start making tracks right away, there is a learning curve for sure, but if you know Elektron gear you'll soon realise its worth it

I don't anticipate doing a proper track for at the very least a few days.

Tracks have their own panning, samples are applied to tracks, different steps can contain a different sample, panning can be p-locked, hope that helps.

Had a play with the FX, if you like the MD and MnM fx you will love these.

Pretty sure the midi is not in there yet.

Loading seems quite quick, as does boot up.

The thing to remember about the tracks only allowing 1 sample to sound is that you can quickly load up some tracks with samples, create some beats or whatever, then resample onto a spare track, then reuse the tracks again, it is very much geared up more for loops than say an MPC, but of course you have very fine control of the loops with plocks, hopefully people will get it, and a new way of doing beats will emerge, certainly the possibilities for creative beatmaking are huge, but if you want to do 808 style stuff an 808 or MDuw would be better IMHO.

Had a few glitches here and there too, but perfectly expected as it is not yet v1.0, nothing serious though, and could be user error on my part (noob!)

Very little common ground between this and the MD, they will work well together I think.

Oh yeah, the face melting stings a bit, get some ointment in
but once your pattern gets complex
the hat cuts your kick, the snare cuts your hat, the kick cuts the cymbal crash,

thanks Darenger for posting some quick replies,

I dont want to speak for everyone but given a lack of info on specific functions, we are just trying to make our imaginations bend to the design of a brand new product

I've already preordered one so I'm stuck with what I get

on a plus, the filters sound awesome in those videos
and I shouldnt be so hasty to to replace my trusty MPC just yet
Chain Chomp
TheKM wrote:
22tape wrote:
cool. well, if you have 128 machines available per track, i don't think you'd want them all panned the same, if you know what i mean.

Why wouldn't you just p-lock the pan parameter for the trigs where you want it to be different than the track parameter like you would on MnM/MD?

thanks for that. i don't have an mnm/md.
Chain Chomp
darenager wrote:

Tracks have their own panning, samples are applied to tracks, different steps can contain a different sample, panning can be p-locked, hope that helps.

indeed it does. thanks so much!

darenager wrote:

you can quickly load up some tracks with samples, create some beats or whatever, then resample onto a spare track

you can resample/bounce to another track from within the OT?
Boo
22tape wrote:
TheKM wrote:
22tape wrote:
cool. well, if you have 128 machines available per track, i don't think you'd want them all panned the same, if you know what i mean.

Why wouldn't you just p-lock the pan parameter for the trigs where you want it to be different than the track parameter like you would on MnM/MD?

thanks for that. i don't have an mnm/md.

Ah, sorry about that.. I thought you did. I'm pretty sure the answer to the question of 'how can I do things differently per sound per track' is going to always come down to plocks and lfos...
Although I guess now scenes.

I wonder how parameter locks, LFOs, and scenes all interact. Do the scenes override the parameter locks?
Game & Watch
why are you so anal with sample cut?

it´s obvious that each track would be monophonic and so cut the next sample...I know several samplers in the same league! and this could be great for some sample tracking...for instance when retrigger a loop is better (for me) to have a monphonic sample track instead of hear the tail of the first shot over the retriggered loop...that´s how d&b born!

I remember lot of people happy when realized that the OT can handle more than 1 sample per track so just take it as an extra from having just one sample per track, not the opposite way!
Chain Chomp
anselmi wrote:
why are you so anal with sample cut?

it´s obvious that each track would be monophonic and so cut the next sample...I know several samplers in the same league! and this could be great for some sample tracking...for instance when retrigger a loop is better (for me) to have a monphonic sample track instead of hear the tail of the first shot over the retriggered loop...that´s how d&b born!

I remember lot of people happy when realized that the OT can handle more than 1 sample per track so just take it as an extra from having just one sample per track, not the opposite way!

*edit: not sure if you were referring to me, anselmi. but that's not a huge concern*

indeed. defo shouldn't be a deal breaker. in fact, it's no different than "mute groups" except it's already set up for you!
Cappy
darenager, thanks for taking the time to asnwer the questions, nice one
the LFO's....can you shift the phase?
last question i promise )
Go to top Post Reply