As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear STATUS - The Octa has landed! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: STATUS - The Octa has landed!
Killer Beez
Re:STATUS - The Octa has landed! 13 Years, 4 Months ago
22tape wrote:
Toni wrote:
22tape wrote:
my purchase now hinges on whether or not each machine/sample has it's own pan function, or if it's track panning only.

I dont get this, which way you think it is in MD or MnM?

i'm not sure i get what you mean?

I think paning is done good way in MD/MnM and I just cant imagine any other way it could have been done in OT. Actually I'm having hard time to understand how one could create it somehow differently - its trivial, to me at least (meaning I dont understand why you ask your original question).

How do think it should be and what kind of benefits would it make?
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Toni wrote:
22tape wrote:
Toni wrote:
22tape wrote:
my purchase now hinges on whether or not each machine/sample has it's own pan function, or if it's track panning only.

I think paning is done good way in MD/MnM and I just cant imagine any other way it could have been done in OT. Actually I'm having hard time to understand how one could create it somehow differently - its trivial, to me at least (meaning I dont understand why you ask your original question).

just wondering if panning on the OT is per track or per machine/sample. if it's per track only then that means that all sounds on the same track will be panned in the same position. if the panning is per machine/sample, you can have different pan positions per sound on the same track. what this does ultimately, for me, is free up tracks for composing and mixing.

if it's panning per track only, then i'll need to have a separate track for kick, snare, hats or other percussive elements and bass. so that would be 4 or 5 tracks used before any melodic instrumentation is added. plus i'll have to reserve track 8 if i want to use master fx. hope that makes sense.
Killer Beez
22tape wrote:
Toni wrote:
22tape wrote:
Toni wrote:
22tape wrote:

just wondering if panning on the OT is per track or per machine/sample. if it's per track only then that means that all sounds on the same track will be panned in the same position. if the panning is per machine/sample, you can have different pan positions per sound on the same track. what this does ultimately, for me, is free up tracks for composing and mixing.

if it's panning per track only, then i'll need to have a separate track for kick, snare, hats or other percussive elements and bass. so that would be 4 or 5 tracks used before any melodic instrumentation is added. plus i'll have to reserve track 8 if i want to use master fx. hope that makes sense.

Ok, I understand. Then its panning per track only (like it is done in MD/MnM), I guess. Or I would say, its panning per voice. Seems like most of the OT machines are monophonic and maybe there will be couple of polyphonic too later (like in MnM).

I would deal OT as machine with 8 tracks and thats it. Tyring to squeeze something else from it may just be a waste of time. If you need more tracks, then you'll probably need to look other solutions. Just thinking which is best ...
Chain Chomp
cool. well, if you have 128 machines available per track, i don't think you'd want them all panned the same, if you know what i mean.
kind of pointless to have 128 samples per track if they can only sound for a 16th note then get cut off
Chain Chomp
Aviation Parkway wrote:
kind of pointless to have 128 samples per track if they can only sound for a 16th note then get cut off

afaik, i don't think they'd have to be 16th notes. the samples could last as long as the pattern, as long as another sample isn't used to in the same track to cut it off.
Just wait a few months untill Elektron finsihes coding the 1.0 OS.. I sure all of the stuff you are speculating about will be added.

For example, look at what they have added to the MD and Mono's OS since they first came out...........
Chain Chomp
tIB wrote:
monophobic: the fear of being alone.

just noticed i wrote monophobic-- freudian slip!
Hammer Bro
@22 tape : I'm not sure I understand properly the concern about panning, but couldn't you parameter lock the pan of a track differently on each step? It could be a workaround...
Boo
22tape wrote:
cool. well, if you have 128 machines available per track, i don't think you'd want them all panned the same, if you know what i mean.

Why wouldn't you just p-lock the pan parameter for the trigs where you want it to be different than the track parameter like you would on MnM/MD?
Go to top Post Reply