As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear STATUS - The Octa has landed! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: STATUS - The Octa has landed!
Chain Chomp
Re:STATUS - The Octa has landed! 13 Years, 3 Months ago
Atomic Shadow wrote:
BTW,
There is an Octatrack on Ebay with a BIN of $1440.00 and a "make offer" button....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Elektron-Octatrack-DPS-1-Performance-Sampler-DPS1-New-/280614775817?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4155f1ac09#ht_6230wt_1077

I will wait for Novamusik because they have been great in the past. But someone waiting for Sweetwater could have it in a couple of days and cancel the other order.

You should read the fine print, the seller claims that the units are pre-ordered and will be delivered on January 17, 2011...

I don't think that the units he ordered for online sales are going to arrive any sooner than Nova, Sweetwater, Analogue Haven, or any other US distributor. Heck some people in EU who pre-ordered in December still have not received tracking numbers yet!

Don't believe the hype...
  The topic has been locked.
Sorry. I did miss that part.

That's a bit deceptive to have it listed when they don't actually have them in hand. I did wonder how they got one before Novamusik but then I thought that they may have snagged one at the NAMM show and then decided to flog it on Ebay.
Cappy
Wow, I can't wait to get one of these. I'll use it for both live performance and composing. For composition I'll use it for sound design, making use of the effects and resampling, much like I do with the KP3 and SP404. Live I'll use it with a footswitch for looping vocals and instruments (can't wait to record some live acoustic drums and mangle them on the fly).

I'm interested in seeing how the midi sequencing works once it's implemented.
Chain Chomp
Yeah I really want to be able to plug a midi keyboard to the midi sequencer for polyphonic playing. Not overly fussed about poly sampling (I think its been said before this is a new type of sampling) but being able to sequence my other synths by "playing the keys" would be a huge plus for me. Fingers crossed but I guess everyone wants something different. :-
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
How are loop tempos handled? Are they autodetected and synced to a master tempo, or do you have to manually timestretch each loop? Really interested in using the Octa to replace my Live live set up, and I have a lot of loops already trimmed and prepped from that. Just curious how loops with multiple tempos are handled when playing back at once.
Cappy
gosh wrote:
Yeah I really want to be able to plug a midi keyboard to the midi sequencer for polyphonic playing. Not overly fussed about poly sampling (I think its been said before this is a new type of sampling) but being able to sequence my other synths by "playing the keys" would be a huge plus for me. Fingers crossed but I guess everyone wants something different. :-

2nd that!
heres hoping
infact midifile support would be nice too.........
ark
Chain Chomp
Just got a phone call from NovaMusik: My Octatrack is shipping from Elektron, should be in their hands next Tuesday or Wednesday, and in mine by next Friday.

Yay!!
Chain Chomp
Tarekith wrote:
22tape wrote:
just thinking aloud here-- there's gonna have to be A LOT of p-locking going on to pan each machine (for the workaround) and fx--for example, if you want to add different amounts of reverb to different machines/samples on the same track you're gonna have to p-lock every new instance of the sample on the track. for every sample. for the length of the song. could become quite tedious...

That's no different from how the MD and MnM work though.

i never owned a mnm. and it's been a few years since i owned the md. but aren't the fx at the machine level on the md? i mean the md doesn't have a hierarchal track concept? if i remember correctly on the md, i could, say, set the amount of reverb for a single machine and not bother with it again if i didn't need to. yes, if i wanted to automate the reverb at a specific point in the pattern, i'd p-lock it.

but on the OT aren't all of the sample's fx and pan settings controlled at the track level not the sample level? so all samples within a single track will share the same pan and fx settings? i'm not sure if i'm being clear. so say on the OT, if i want to compose full songs only having 8 tracks, i'll have to combine "instruments" on the same track. and if i end up having the kick and bass on the same track they'll be sharing the pan and fx settings. i often like to have a mono bass directly in the center of the stereo field. so on the OT i would set the track pan to the center. but i like to have my kicks panned slightly left or right so to separate it from the bass. so when the kick sounds on the same track as the bass, i'd have to p-lock the whole track pan slightly left. then immediately p-lock it again back to the center for the bass. then again for the kick. and again for the bass. then again for the kick. repeat for every pattern throughout the whole track.

same with fx setting. if i have the snare and hats sharing a track, they'll have the same fx and pan settings. not only would i have to do the same thing with the pan as mentioned above, i'd also have to repeat the same process for reverb if i want one to be more wet than the other. throughout the whole track. and the same with any effect. whereas on the md, i think, the sample settings are at the machine level. you could just set it and let it go if you wanted.

does that makes sense?

someone suggested that you could just bounce down so you could reuse the pattern and not worry about doing all the p-locking again. true. but then you're talking about dealing with larger chunks of audio which eats into the ram and, more importantly, you lose control of start/end points of those individual samples that you bounced down. now you only have control over the start/end of the bounced pattern.
If anyone can scan the manual and upload it to Scribd it would be fantastic! Much better than sendspace or one of those other file sites with all those horrible pop-usp and links that expire!

Scribd is a social publishing site, where tens of millions of people share writings and documents. Scribd's vision is to liberate the written word .
Cappy
I think the OT will be worth the price of admission alone for being able to use it as an effects sequencer. Everyone has different ideas for what they are going to use the OT for, and none is better than the other. All I know for sure is that it will make for a wonderful input machine, and if creativity is among the things you put in it, the results should be well above satisfactory.
Go to top Post Reply