As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear STATUS - The Octa has landed! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: STATUS - The Octa has landed!
Re:STATUS - The Octa has landed! 13 Years, 4 Months ago
Why would you be curious if it works well with a modular?

OFCOURSE it works well with a modular............ Pretty obvious
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
Re:STATUS - The Octa has landed! 13 Years, 3 Months ago
Ok, first impressions, and a few answers:

After a bit of head scratching about how to access samples, I managed to load a few in and make a very baby steps pattern.

P-Locks work exactly the way you know and love, scenes are a snap and are assigned like a p-lock - hold down scene button, tweak what you want, release scene, stored.

Each track can have its own meter, divisions (more than MD) and number of steps, or it can follow the pattern default, I curiously tested the number of steps allowed for a track and it went upto 1024, I did not test playback of this but it seems a pattern could be say 64 steps and one or any/all of the tracks could loop around at upto 1024 steps, and with tempo divisors too. Please don't take this as gospel, as I did not test properly, but will try to do so later (or if anyone else wants to chime in)

Each track can access multiple samples, upto 128, not found out about polyphony yet though.

LFO designer per track can be freely assigned to other tracks so 8 custom LFOs, simple to edit.

Sound quality seems great, not sampled anything yet though, just played back some of the included ones, but everything is loud and crystal clear, I will do some a/b stuff later.

The arranger is like song mode on the MD/MnM but with some extras, all the usual stuff plus scenes per row, so very flexible.

It seems quite deep and daunting at first, but I only had an hour so should know more later, but rest assured this is very much an Elektron machine and all the conventions and operationl niceties are there, as well as plenty of extras.

The filter seems very nice, and quite versatile with nice resonance for acid heads Sounds a bit more refined than the MD filter so far, but can get very nasty too!

I really hope you all get yours ASAP as I am pretty certain you WILL love it. Worth every penny!

Back in a few hours, sorry if I did not cover everything!
MK7
Killer Beez
Thanks for the infos!

have fun!

maybe i should take a day off from work or two when it arrives
Goomba
darenager wrote:
...After a bit of head scratching about how to access samples, I managed to load a few..
so:
· did it came with the preliminary manual printed/photocopied or pdf?
· did elektrons managed to implement midi sequencer yet?
· also I would love to see real-time pattern switching if you have a chance to capture video
thanks a lot for infos...
and have a great night with your OT
Chain Chomp
narobi wrote:
The individual tracks are not polyphonic- I asked elektron that a few weeks ago.

ouch!
Chain Chomp
thanks for the info!

is there panning per sample/machine, or is track panning only?
narobi wrote:
The individual tracks are not polyphonic

Thats totally fine with me
Cappy
is the midi seqeuncer there at all? is this polyphonic, can you enter notes from keyboard controller? can you enter notes from pads?
cheers
scan the manual and sell it on ebay
Game & Watch
darenager wrote:

Each track can have its own meter, divisions (more than MD) and number of steps, or it can follow the pattern default, I curiously tested the number of steps allowed for a track and it went upto 1024, I did not test playback of this but it seems a pattern could be say 64 steps and one or any/all of the tracks could loop around at upto 1024 steps, and with tempo divisors too. Please don't take this as gospel, as I did not test properly, but will try to do so later

Ok, I was not entirely correct here, each track can have its own length and time sig, as well as tempo mult from 1/8th,1/4,1/2,3/4,1x,3/2,2x. The 1024 steps that I referred to above are settings of the master length which determine how many steps the tracks will play before they are restarted, so it is not a setting for individual track length as stated above.

The scale setup can allow the track to conform to the master scale, or have its own setting, it seems the max is 64 steps for both pattern and track, but with use of multipliers it looks like this is still a very flexible setup.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Still working my way through, so bear with
Go to top Post Reply