As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear STATUS - The Octa has landed! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: STATUS - The Octa has landed!
Re:STATUS - The Octa has landed! 13 Years, 3 Months ago
orwell wrote:
I'm confused here poly or mono for each track?
Really if it is not poly then it is not for me.

agreed, I'm debating canceling my order

or using it in the hopes of an OS update allowing poly
  The topic has been locked.
Killer Beez
I demand a little octapussy on each track, dammit!
MK7
Killer Beez
papertiger wrote:
i think the "problem" with the OctaTrack is that right now we don't have a conceptual paradigm that covers exactly what it does or what it's designed to do. Many are approaching it as a drum sampler; many are approaching it like a traditional sampler (think Kurzweils with multisampled pianos, etc.); some are looking at it as an MPC replacement.

so which is it?

none of the above.

I alluded to it when I first posted my experiences with the OT, but you have never used a sampler like this. Some things are familiar *generally*, some things are familiar becuase they carry over from Elektron machines -- but the point is that it is it's own thing. AND THAT'S OK. while it is possible that future updates may make the OT more like one type of sampler than another, you should only buy based on what it does now, or what has been *officially* announced. if it doesn't work for you, save your money and wait for the possibly forthcoming Linn or look for another solution. THAT'S OK TOO!

+1

it's still a very "different" piece of gear

EDIT: regarding this multisampled pianos discussion, i don't expect that Elektron will design it like this. even the Monomachine behaves strangely in a classic keyboard environment compared to other synths due to its sequencer structure and envelopes. for example pads are cut of after 2 bars i think, so you need some ARP workarounds to make it more similar to a normal keyboard. so why should the OT be better suited for usage with a keyboard than the responsible product in the portfolio? from a product perspective, piano multisamples would make more sense to me in the MM.
Chain Chomp
papertiger wrote:
gliiitches wrote:
No way will this thing be relegated to live-use only.

the entire world would have to be full of tremendously stupid and uncreative people thereby leaving me as a genius: I'll be using it every way EXCEPT live.

M

which is how was looking at it.

PT, are you talking about using the OT on it's own to do full tracks, or are you talking about integrating it with other gear to complete tracks? if you're planning on doing all in the OT, i'm curious as to how you'd get a quality mix. not being sarcastic here. i'd really like to find a way to be able to work with the OT.

i guess it depends a lot on what type of music we want to make. if i wanted to change up my style and do more minimal compositions then i could do it all in the OT. although i do like my tunes to get really dense in spots. like the build/break.
YNE
Boo
MDUW/MM/OT/A4/
Minitaur/Virus TI/Electribe MX
Bass & Emotion
http://soundcloud.com/y-ne
darenager wrote:
Video soon, in about next half hour, keep it loc'd

Can't wait to see a video of this thing from someone who really knows how to rock the elektrons...
Cappy
And if you want a drum sampler, get an MD. I think it is fair to assume there not being too much overlap between the MD and OT. It wouldn´t really make any sense, business-wise.

I must say, so far, nothing sounds disappointing or very different to what I´ve imagined it to be like based on information available.

Granted, it´s not going to be the be-all end-all sampler for everyone.
Question for Deranger

what are load times like between projects

going from one group of 8 tracks to another to another ?
MK7
Killer Beez
YNE wrote:
darenager wrote:

Can't wait to see a video of this thing from someone who really knows how to rock the elektrons...

me too!

refresh refresh
blackshark wrote:
YNE wrote:
darenager wrote:

me too!

refresh refresh

yee its been 30 mins already,

Killer Beez
blackshark wrote:

EDIT: regarding this multisampled pianos discussion, i don't expect that Elektron will design it like this..

But why then the option for 128 samples per 64 step track? It just doesn't make any sense at all if there is no option to layer "voices". I am just trying to understand how these 128 samples could possibly be used in a track. The only possibility I see is that each scenes can make use of different samples, but that still doesn't seem very sensible to me...
Go to top Post Reply