As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Machinedrum Mk3 (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Machinedrum Mk3
Chain Chomp
Re:Machinedrum Mk3 10 Years, 11 Months ago
teevee wrote:
void wrote:

soundwise, if it covers the range from TR emulation to Elektron-edgy, i imagine it will easily become their best selling product yet.

You can already make that (TRX) or just upload samples from the old TR and make soundpacks

well yes, though it can be observed from reading gear-related forums etc. that there's a lot of people who really want the authentic, overused TR sound from 808 or 909, and these folks usually go on to say that the MD doesn't cut it sound wise, too metallic, too digital, too blahbla.

They want the classic retro sounds. They buy an Acidlab Miami or a Jomox etc., and go on to complain about the interface or how the snare doesn't sound exactly like on the real thing, and dream of getting a good deal on a real Roland even though these are absolutely ridiculously overpriced.

Also, at the moment, apparently the thing really needs to be analog. ANALOG ANALOG ANALOG. A N A L O G.

So we have a high demand for a killer analog drum machine which will make people lose their Roland TR GAS. Now, if there would exist a company which could pull that off.... hmm... Can you think of one?

Obviously, Elektron will not make an 808 clone, and the same people who complain that the Analog Four cannot do REAL ACID, will dismiss the new machine as sounding like a VST.

(lol if this reads like smart assy talk, sorry.... )
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
void wrote:

well yes, though it can be observed from reading gear-related forums etc. that there's a lot of people who really want the authentic, overused TR sound from 808 or 909, and these folks usually go on to say that the MD doesn't cut it sound wise, too metallic, too digital, too blahbla.

They want the classic retro sounds. They buy an Acidlab Miami or a Jomox etc., and go on to complain about the interface or how the snare doesn't sound exactly like on the real thing, and dream of getting a good deal on a real Roland even though these are absolutely ridiculously overpriced.

Also, at the moment, apparently the thing really needs to be analog. ANALOG ANALOG ANALOG. A N A L O G.

So we have a high demand for a killer analog drum machine which will make people lose their Roland TR GAS. Now, if there would exist a company which could pull that off.... hmm... Can you think of one?

Obviously, Elektron will not make an 808 clone, and the same people who complain that the Analog Four cannot do REAL ACID, will dismiss the new machine as sounding like a VST.

(lol if this reads like smart assy talk, sorry.... )

It’s true that Machinedrum doesn’t sounds like old 606, 808 and 909 because the sound converters is different and I don’t think that it would be a good idea to copy the circuit because of copyright reasons. I think we should be happy with our Machinedrum. Maybe it sounds metallic and digital, people said same about Yamaha Dx-7 about 25 years ago and today is the machine a unique pearl. Machinedrum is a unique pearl too and it sounds different from all the other machines on the market. I’m personal tired of clones and this is why I brought Machinedrum! If people want a modern analog drummachine, then buy a Dave Smith Tempest!

People are talking about analog as positive and digital as negative, but do not know the difference. Today is the word “analog” used as a “sale terms” without content.
I think Elektron should really be aware if they even considering making Roland TR clones. I have a little “thought” I like to share with you. We have seen that Korg has awaken this year with their Korg Ms-20mini and Korg Volca after many years request of remaking some of their old things or reusing some old filters.

Korg and Roland are competitors on the worldwide market. What considerations do you think Roland get, when they see that the sale of Korg ms-20mini are good? I can give you a hint (Let’s take a look at our old drawings of Roland tr.. Roland sh..Roland Jupiter..Roland Juno…etc….) and wouldn’t it be a risk for Elektron to try making a clone if Roland actually choose to pack out the old drawings and making some improvements?

Elektron sells units worldwide, but you have to remember that Elektron is a little niche company that sells on niche products, not clones and this is probably why the company can stay alive.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
The last thing I'd want Elektron to do is a clone of some old Roland TR's. I would like to see their own brand of Analog Machinedrum, tied with the usual craziness of their sequencer/p-lock system. Basically/kind of what A4 was to MnM, as someone else mentioned. I think there's a market for that.
Maybe it sounds metallic and digital,

but I don't think it does really, does it.

Certainly where 808 sounds are concerned, the likes of Daren Ager & many others on here have proved you get fairly indistinguishable stuff happening on the MD - certainly 'in the mix' anyhow.
Sure, if people want to listen to pure, raw sounds & compare...yada yada yada...but in terms of actually creating music I think Elektron pretty much hit the mark with the original TRX emulation.

I certainly think if you've got an MD ( esp UW I guess ) & an A4 you're probably well covered.

The little Korg Volca will be worth checking though, if only for the fact it's so damn cheap.
Chain Chomp
http://soundcloud.com/pixelife
This cold is a common misconception and a reason why a lot of people sell theirs. This is when I tell them about my tape saturated 909 kits in my MD and in the mix they cannot even tell it's not the real deal.

Any the "cold" thing I would define more as an articulated high end punchiness. Very contemporary.

And if you don't like that kind of thing there is plenty of EQing and filtering ON BOARD to take care of that..

It's just laziness really, but I also understand that transferring samples via MIDI can be a kind of pain but I actually think it's kind of fun.
Chain Chomp
Veets wrote:
The +Drive is the MK3.

and the OT is the MK4, sheeit folks, I don't see why can't be satisfied with how the mk2 is "as is"
King Koopa
Analog Machinedrum? The A4 can easily do this!
Goomba
Blah blah blah

Elektron Machinedrum + Jomox Airbase = Win.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
pulsn wrote:
Analog Machinedrum? The A4 can easily do this!
Not as easily as my imagined Analog Drum 6 (AD6): kick snare tom clap hh perc, all cooked up perfectly in new-fangled Swedish circuitry completely malleable via p-lock goodness, the one standard that binds all elektrogeny (save for that black sheep called the sidstation )
Chain Chomp
http://soundcloud.com/pixelife
I'm still thinking ana/digi hybrid drums. 6 analog voices and 6/8 digi voices (24bit?) and no sampling..
Go to top Post Reply