As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox MD vs Metasonix R-51 (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD vs Metasonix R-51
Hammer Bro
MD vs Metasonix R-51 13 Years, 5 Months ago
I figured I'd post this here since it involves a machinedrum and I know there are quite a few modular owners who visit this site.

This is a short demo I made of the machinedrum running through a Metasonix R-51 VCA/Distortion tube module.

The first 4 bars is the MD unprocessed, the rest is the exact same pattern going through the R-51 with changes made to the R-51's parameters every 4 bars.

There's no post-processing (except normalizing in logic). The reverb you might hear on the snare is the MDs reverb. I took a pretty straight pattern (almost boring) so you can see how the R-51 can bring some mayhem to your drums.

http://soundcloud.com/jims-computer-beats/md-vs-r-51

You can download the .aif file and zoom on those waveforms.

(EDIT : I'm not sure I posted this in the right forum section... So if an admin want to move this thread in another section, it won't hurt my feelings! )
  The topic has been locked.
Re:MD vs Metasonix R-51 13 Years, 5 Months ago
Cool sound !

PS : Never normalize...
Hammer Bro
Syl Kougaï wrote:
PS : Never normalize...

For the sake of understanding better how sound works, would you care to elaborate on that? I just assumed it would put the highest peak to 0 db (and turning the general volume up based on that) and that's it... (I recorded at around -3 db if I remember correctly, so not a very big difference).

Thanks!
Hammer Bro
Or if anyone knows why we shouldn't normalize and would like to explain...
Killer Beez
I love this demo. What settings did you use to modify the sound? Also if I bought one of these would I be able to put it in a box and use any suitable power supply to get it running. I can't see myself getting a modular case.

Looking into other tube distortion options. first stop EH.
Hammer Bro
I can't recall the exact settings I used, as the Metasonix stuff must be tweaked gently to find a sweet spot, and those settings may vary a bit from unit to unit. Also, you must play carefully with the volume of what you're sending it to (in this case, the master volume of the MD) as it can change the sound a bit. I just tweaked until it sounded good to me!

I wouldn't suggest plugging an eurorack module to a non eurorack powersupply. Doepfer makes a little beauty case to accomodate 1 or 2 modules, but you need to verify that it would be able to feed about 400 mA of current (that's what this modules takes to start up) EDIT : ok, forget about the minicase, it maxes out at 200 mA.

But you could always contact Metasonix for suggestions or custom orders. Also, the eurorack stuff works with 1/8" jacks and this module (as most modules) is mono.
I'd like to know as well, why shouldn't we normalize?
For the sake of understanding better how sound works, would you care to elaborate on that? I just assumed it would put the highest peak to 0 db (and turning the general volume up based on that) and that's it... (I recorded at around -3 db if I remember correctly, so not a very big difference).

Because when you normalize, you raise the level of the loud input passage BUT also the low level input, where there is a lot of bad things like noises, lose resolution of the soft excerpt due to digital interpretation, and +3db on that is a lot on certain material...

Sorry if i can not go futher because I don't find the precice word in english.
I recommand this book, witch is on mastering but speak about a lot things that we all need to know for mixing :
Mastering audio: the art and the science by Bob Katz

For your gain, look at parallel compression, it is may be a good way, tell me...
All the same, the Metasonix R-51 sounds awesome !!!
(to hijack just a moment longer...)

I don't see how normalizing would be much different than turning up the volume on your stereo in that case. Perhaps with analog tape, where the minimum noise level can be high (or the MK 1 machinedrum!), you need to be careful about introducing too much gain, but with a DAW there shouldn't be too much noise, right?

However, I can imagine if you're going to send your tracks off to be mastered that normalizing would reduce the engineer's options for compression and EQing. Don't they ask for at least -3 dB of headroom?

Anyway, I'm no expert, and Katz's mastering bible has been on my to-read list for a long time!
Go to top Post Reply