As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox MNM Dubstep Wobble Bass (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MNM Dubstep Wobble Bass
Hero of Winds
KIKOSHO FASHO
Re:MNM Dubstep Wobble Bass (and MD!) 13 Years, 5 Months ago
Great thread.

Also, I'd like to thank the community here for being patient with meh.
Really means a lot.... keep in mind, I'm VERY new to synths.
My first was the MD, and I just got that in July.
  The topic has been locked.
Re:MNM Dubstep Wobble Bass 13 Years, 5 Months ago
just started effing around with the TRX B2 and was amazed to see that all my previous efforts came to life once I cranked the distortion parameter on the synth page... WOW

for added crazyness, make a copy or two of the parts, then play around with theAmp mod parameters and SRR.. instand mayhem without destroying the bottom end
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
Veets wrote:
I don't produce dubstep but there have been at least a half-dozen posts about "how do I make a wobble" here at the forum over the last year.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a section of the Next-Level Tips & Tricks document Veets compiled last January concerning wobble bass. (From a post by Parallel Park??...memory failing... )
Yoshi
@0n0n3
MNM
OT
X0xb0x
Monotribe
Chakaharta wrote:

Thanks Hertzian, I was wondering where that went! Guess I was being impatient tonight. Good tip: always be gentle if you're missing it.

Applies to a few select things in life

jdn
King Koopa
Hi,

I wanted to share what I came up with on the MD last night -- was very fun to plock this pattern in.

Here's a clip of how it sounds:
http://soundcloud.com/chakaharta/machinedrum-dubstep-bass-01

Cheers
File Attachment:
File Name: md_dubstep01.zip
File Size: 994
Hero of Winds
KIKOSHO FASHO
Wow. F*ckin sexy sounding there, Chak! Y'all are all so talented with these boxes it makes me little head spin. I worked on making wobbly stuff for about five hours and all of it sounds... well... pretty bad.
jdn
King Koopa
Thanks mate.

The Elektron boxes aren't the easiest IMO to learn synthesis on (maybe only because they're pretty unique in their UI).

The main reason I was able to dial those sounds in quickly is I've looked at a few "dubstep wobble" tutorials over the past year, tried patching them up various VSTi's, and just tried to translate the basic patch design to the MD / MNM.

IMO sound design is one of those hard skills that really takes a lot of reading / learning / watching / listening to start to figure out all the things you don't even know you don't know yet.

If you're frustrated trying to replicate sounds, maybe check out a book on synthesis and dig into the fundamentals. I learned a lot going through Howard Scarr's eBook on Programming Analog Synthesizers, which is focused on the Access Virus sound architecture, but his approach to sound design was really illuminating. There are also tons of general synthesis books out there.

I put off learning this stuff "for real" for the past 15 years+, and finally digging into it over the past 6 months or so I've learned more than in the decade before. Kind of sad, but whatever.

And anyone who tells you that they never read/learned about synthesis -- that they're self-taught or whatever -- well good for them! Personally, I just wanted to maximize my musical punch, and I figured a little learning only shows respect for the artform. After all -- it has evolved through the work and play of many musicians over many decades.

Sorry for the long post -- but it's cool to have found a nice community to chat about this stuff with.
jdn
King Koopa
Nils wrote:
RubixGroove wrote:
I'd love to hear what you could crank out on the MD because I'm still having massive issues finding anything that wobbles nicely. Trying what Bo suggested only head to very strange sounding pops that cut-outs that weren't very wobbly at all.

Patience Rubix.

Some non-UW examples:

http://soundcloud.com/pokelok/noe-0344-bugge-og-4xmd-050126
@39:00-44:00: Everything TRX-B2, apart from cowbell and organ

http://soundcloud.com/pokelok/sika-okt-03
@54:50 to end: EFM-BD bass/stabs/wobbles
All MD.

http://www.batterycollection.net/MDcontest/oct2004.zip
all EFM-BD demoes, my entry slightly wobbly

Nice stuff Nils! Sounds very experimental dub-techno to my ears. Those sets with 5 of you jamming are really cool to hear. I love improv / multiple electronic musicians playing together, partially because it's such a departure from the norm.
Hero of Winds
KIKOSHO FASHO
Jer warblies have much more texture than my attempts sooo far.
This is extremely fun & yet nerve wracking at the same time!
jdn
King Koopa
breathe
Go to top Post Reply