As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Buy - Sell - Trade About MOTU and FireWire Audio Interfaces on PC's. (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: About MOTU and FireWire Audio Interfaces on PC's.
Cappy
Re: Need YOUR HELP with PCI Audio Interfaces Purchase. 18 Years ago
fwiw, i have experienced ground noise problems _even with_ a usb interface (the rather cheap audiophile usb). Thus, the ground connection is not necessarily isolated as milkman speculates.

It was definitely a ground-related problem: lifting the ground on my laptop power supply removed the noise.

That's another reason why imho you can't solve all potential problems before trying anything... better to try the audio interface part and go from there.

I do agree that the 'wires hanging out of back of pc' method is not ideal.
  The topic has been locked.
Re: About MOTU and FireWire Audio Interfaces on PC's. 18 Years ago

glitched wrote:
Dang, you've got a good idea there with the USB interface.

I don't know for sure, but I've heard that the latency is worse on a USB interface, not to mention that you're limited in some situations when recording multiple audio channels at high resolutions. (This is due to the limited bandwidth of the USB "pipe".) Certainly, a positive is that the FTP is mobile; however, if you're looking for something mobile with great performance in any situation, why not firewire?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo-main.html

The FireWire Solo does not have MIDI I/O.

If you wanted to get into talking about Firewire interfaces, that's a whole 'nother can o' worms. Lots of cheaper ones from Focusrite and Berhinger.

-d

Hi, the reason I haven't mentioned FireWire is because I don't have any FW ports on my PC. I did some more reading and once again I've changed my mind, I decided not to go with USB, I realized that I would benefit more with FW now and in the future than I would with USB. Plus the USB audio interfaces that I was thinking of buying was only USB 1.0 so eventually I would run into some bottlenecking and I don't want that.

So here is my question, has anyone experienced and used a MOTU FireWire Interface on a PC? I know that MOTU's first choice is MAC's and then secondary, it's PC's. How well do MOTU's work on PC's? I know that it can vary cause every PC is setup differently (hardware, software, etc...) including different chipset (Intel, VIA, etc...). I just want to know, have any of you had first-hand experience with MOTU on PC's, if so, how well did they work?

Now the only FireWire Interface that I have my eye on is the MOTU UltraLite. I like what it has to offer, one thing that I find to be quite convenient for me is how small it is and how it can be used as a mixer (minus the PC) when you play live. It has just the right amount of inputs and output that I need. :-D Anyways, has anyone here tested out the MOTU UltrLite, if so what did you think of it? Have you heard or read anything bad about it? Any info on this would greatly help. :-D

Again, all of you, thanks for your help.
- Mr. E
  The topic has been locked.
Go to top Post Reply