As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All...Need Sticky!!! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All...Need Sticky!!!
jdn
King Koopa
Re:DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All...Need Sticky!!! 13 Years, 4 Months ago
Veets, thanks for the info about the img bug -- I'll be careful in the future. 400x490px max ....

So in the interest of sharing some hard-earned insight in to the Monomachine Dynamix, here are my notes. I'm using the MNM OS 1.31c:

* MIX 127 -> wet. (backwards from MD)
* For ATK and REL, 0 = fast, 127 = slow
* RAT knob is more linear across the entire range than the MD

In Peak mode (RMS closer to 0):
* REL only seems to have an effect on the release when the ATK is set slow (high)
* Turning up REL seems to be making ATK rate slower as well
* Fast ATK and slow (any) REL doesn’t respond -- the compressor immediately releases so you don’t see any gain reduction ramping off.
* To see any pumping on release, you need a slow ATK and a slow REL
* It’s almost like Release = ATK*REL
* Attack seems to be = ATK+REL

Example: Brickwall Limiter setting: ATK 0 REL 0 THRS to suit, RAT 127, RMS 0, MIX 127

In RMS mode (RMS closer to 127):
* ATK adjusts the attack 0 = fast 127 = slightly slower
* REL also adjusts the attack time
* (they seem to adjust the attack by different amounts, too)
* Attack = ATK+REL
* Release seems to always be AUTO, and fixed to a medium-slow release rate. I'm not 100% sure about this part, but I couldn't get it to change the behavior in any significant way in RMS mode.
* Fastest attack is slowed down by the RMS detection integration time (this is normal for RMS compression)

You can of course blend between Peak and RMS modes to get hybrid behavior

So to summarize:

In Peak mode,
Attack time ~= ATK+REL
Release time ~= ATK*REL

In RMS mode,
Attack time ~= ATK+REL
Release time = basically fixed / AUTO

The upshot?

* Moving the REL value higher always lengthens the attack.
* In Peak mode, setting ATK to low values shortens the Release drastically. I don't think you can get a fast attack / slow release "breathing recovery" because of this. You can do a long attack, slow release, or move to RMS mode and get a slightly slower max attack rate, slow fixed release ...
* In RMS mode, you can basically only adjust the attack phase using either the ATK or REL knobs.

Hope that helps you all dial in settings that you find useful, and please let me know if this doesn't describe the behavior you're seeing on your units. I've been using both terms 'time' and 'rate' above; sorry if that muddies the issue for anyone. Fast rate = short gain adjustment time , Slow rate = long gain adjustment time.

Think I'll be back to making tunes with these mysterious boxes now....

The topic has been locked.
GYS
Game & Watch
Do dumb shit with glow sticks.
www.soundcloud.com/gys
www.virb.com/gys
Thanks again for this useful info!
jdn
King Koopa
No prob. Let me know if it makes sense when you try it out!
Game & Watch
Chakaharta wrote:
So in the interest of sharing some hard-earned insight in to the Monomachine Dynamix, here are my notes. I'm using the MNM OS 1.31c:

...major snip....

Great job Chakaharta! Major props - I think you are currently the Elektron MD/MNM compressor master.

The upshot?

... snip....

The upshot is...go outboard Bring a little FMR comp to a live show or use whatever your DAW provides.

Although I do think it's great fun randomly p-locking the Dynamix. This can be very interesting, and since this compressor is borderline metaphysical (or else rocket science), the random approach makes sense.

Dynamix-the world's first Zen compressor. What is the sound of one compressor clapping & pumping?
Game & Watch
Once you go Elektron...
Theres no going backetron!

-----------------
www.geirhelgi.com
Chakaharta wrote:

* The HP in the Dynamix seems only run from like 20 Hz to 500 Hz or something like that. That’s why having it all the way up at 127 still results in lots of compression from program material.

I want more on this, the HP is pretty vital,
anyone know the real values of 0-127?
Go to top Post Reply