As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All...Need Sticky!!! (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All...Need Sticky!!!
Admin
Re:DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All...Need Sticky!!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago
Justin Valer wrote:
Also.. The values that the MD assigns to the compressor when loading an empty kit do not engage the compressor even though the signal is wet. This is because threshold volume is set to maximum.

Nope, the compressor is definitely active when the signal is loud enough.
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Re:DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All...Need Sticky!!! 13 Years, 5 Months ago
Agreed, it's plainly audible.
Admin
InnerPortalStudio.com - Specializing in mastering and mixdowns of electronic music.
Re:DYNAMIX SETTINGS (Elektron's Reply) 13 Years, 4 Months ago
Ok, here's the response from Elektron:

"ATCK controls the attack time, which is the time it takes the volume detector to react to the
Attack part of the sound signal. Long attack times let fast transients through the compressor.
REL controls the release time. This is the time it takes the volume detector to react to the
Release part of the sound signal. A long release time lifts the signal level as a sound
decays, flattening the dynamics.
TRHD sets the threshold level where the signal starts getting compressed (from -48 to
0dB ).
RTIO controls the ratio by which the signal is compressed, when the threshold level is
reached. The ratio has a value in the range 1:1 to 1:256.
KNEE controls the soft knee transition. It makes the transition between compressed and
uncompressed signal smoother, by softening the knee. A low value gives a hard knee.
HP is the side chain High pass filter. This parameter highpass filters the sidechain signal of
the Compressor, so that it does not react to bass.
OUTG out gain raises the signal level. This is used to make up for the gain lost in the compressor.
MIX controls the cross mix between the compressed signal and the original signal. A high
value bypasses the DYNAMIX processor.

I can agree that some text is a little hard to comprehend as we do not give any values. but its our intention to not confuse users with timing values and such as we want our users to ,,, you know, ,, use their ears. what other manufacturers do, well ,, umm. yeah, thats their thing really. hope I dont sound too mean here as that is not my intention at all. if it contains bugs though, thats a whole other thing!"

And then I asked:

I think the confusion isn't so much what the controls do, but how they
are set up in the Elektron gear. IE, is attack and release fastest at
0 or 127? Is the threshold highest at 127 (0dB ) and lowest at 0
(-48dB )? Ratio at 1 = 1:1 and 127 = 1:256?

Also, can you confirm that by default the Dynamix is set to 100% Wet
and thus always on in brand new units?

Also one more question while I have your attention I've heard that
the MD and MnM's Master Volume knob is actually applying gain when
turned up fully. Where approximately should it be set so that no gain
is applied or removed?

Reply:

"yes, attack and release is fastest at 0. slowest at 127.

the threshold is highest at 127 and that is indeed 0dB.

ratio, correct.

a mix value of 127 means that its a dry signal. a mix value of 0 means only compressed signal. still, you can if you push the makeupgain, have signal bleedthrough but then you are really pushing it.

thats what the manual states below although I can agree it is a little confusing, our intention is though to make it easy for the user and dial in what sounds good. not calculate it beforehand.

yes, it does apply a small gain. I would put the master volume at 3 oclock. then it will more or less match the separate outputs (which has no pot controlling the output)"

Hope that helps everyone!
AN1
Boo
Re:DYNAMIX SETTINGS Once And For All...Need Sticky!!! 13 Years, 4 Months ago
Thanks for posting this!
Killer Beez
MD would really benefit having a master-meter (-60dB - 0dB for example).
Admin
Agreed, though I imagein that computationally it would be pretty CPU intensive.
Hero of Winds
KIKOSHO FASHO
This is all really, really handy information. I haven't quite got into the internal compressor as much as I should have... but that bit about the main volume gain is 100% invaluable!

Hammer Bro
MD MKII 10th Anniversary Edition
Monomachine MKII
Facebook Page
+1 on the MASTER VOLUME setting.

I usually crank it all the way up...then set levels accordingly...maybe that's why i have distortion issues with SIN machines sometimes!!!

This needs to be put in the FAQ/WIKI.
For posterity!

peace
Admin
I want a tutorial video. Who's doing it
Killer Beez
johnathon doe wrote:
+1 on the MASTER VOLUME setting.

I usually crank it all the way up...then set levels accordingly...maybe that's why i have distortion issues with SIN machines sometimes!!!

If you are using Master Volume at maximum gain, amplifiers within MD (or MnM for that matter) will be overdriven by bit. With MnM, anything above three o clock might be overdriven (depending your internal gain of course). Its not so easy to hear with MD, but I believe its the same.
Go to top Post Reply