As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox MD as external FX unit for MD (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: MD as external FX unit for MD
Admin
MD as external FX unit for MD 13 Years, 7 Months ago
I had this idea from another thread..

If you'd like to process the MD through an external FX unit, you can set up the MD to act as one, processing itself. The advantage compared to using CTRL machines is that the following technique will be independent of locks (and the pops and clicks they might cause), filter offsets etc. It will also enable you to process the MD master outputs with track effects like envelope follower, filters, distortion, SRR, gating/volume/panning etc, but also experimental stuff like feedback.

Here's how to do it:
1. Set up two tracks with INP machines, pan one hard left and the other hard right.
2. In the global menu, route these tracks to outputs C and D respectively.
3. Grab two jack-jack patch cables and route the L and R main outputs of the MD into input A and B respectively.
4. Use out C and D as your main outputs to your mixer.
5. Set up a CTRL-8P machine to control several of the INP machines' parameters from one machine.
6. Activate the two input machines, adjust volume and go..

NOTE! Routing these INP machines to delay or reverb will cause feedback. Tweak to taste
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
tIB was here
Re:MD as external FX unit for MD 13 Years, 7 Months ago
Good!

using the stereo (headphone) out to a single input can also be cool, youd lose the panning though.
Game & Watch
Nice idea NILS.

Slightly OT (but related to NILS's final NOTE):

I got some pretty groovy screaming and whistling feedback by routing a patch from the Nord (via sends on my desk) through a Virus effects and filters patch. Then the output of the Virus was routed (via a mixbuss) to the MD inputs for yet more delays and filters. Finally I fed a bit of the MDs output (again via the sends) back to the Virus again to create a loop. Now by sweeping around the filters in the Virus and the MDs, messing with delays times and reverb and adjusting send levels the whistle and whine can be tuned...sort of.

Getting a desk which lets you mess about with this kind of thing and has enough groups and auxes is a good way to do this without having to start patching everything.
Game & Watch
ipassenger wrote:
Getting a desk which lets you mess about with this kind of thing and has enough groups and auxes is a good way to do this without having to start patching everything.

What desk are you using ip?
Game & Watch
Mackie 1604 VLZ pro
Has 6 Aux sends and 4 group busses

2 Aux feed my Eventide H3000
2 Aux feed the Vius C
2 Aux feed the M Res

2 Busses feed the Nord G2
2 Busses feed the MDUW

God knows what I am going to do when the Octatrack comes out, I’ve kind of run out of channels as well. Might drop some of the multiple outs of the MD, I don’t use them that much and ditch the M Res so I can route audio to the inputs.
Admin
I also use a 1604 VLZ. You don't need an advanced mixer though. Just a couple of sends will do to achieve some crazy feedback.
Game & Watch
True enough, I was just pointing out that a desk with a few good routing options means you can rewire your studio without rewiring your studio.

Actually I am just sorting out my midi to do the same after getting an old MOTU XT but it's not saving its patches, so I am going to have to replace the battery.
Chain Chomp
ipassenger wrote:
Mackie 1604 VLZ pro
Has 6 Aux sends and 4 group busses

2 Aux feed my Eventide H3000
2 Aux feed the Vius C
2 Aux feed the M Res

2 Busses feed the Nord G2
2 Busses feed the MDUW

God knows what I am going to do when the Octatrack comes out, I’ve kind of run out of channels as well. Might drop some of the multiple outs of the MD, I don’t use them that much and ditch the M Res so I can route audio to the inputs.

Add a patchbay! Route up to 24 outputs to the top row, up to 24 inputs to the bottom row. Now line up your most used inputs and outputs (eg. output aux 1 +2 are above Eventide inputs 1 + 2) .

Switching the patchbay channel to 'parallel mode' will allow you to send an aux to the default connection and have it appear on the front to route to another input. Thus doubling the destinations!

I switch my buss collumns to 'normalled' so that if I input something else to, for example, my linterface channel 3 + 4, the buss from my mixer, normally feeding it breaks it's default connection on the back. This way I never mix any inputs unwanted and prevent overload.

It takes a little bit of planning and you'd have to add some extra cables to your setup, but it works really well and expands your mixer!
Game & Watch
Yeah your right it is the only real logical conclusion longer term. Just never really fancied parting with that much cash for it, the patchbay is one thing but then buying all the new leads and then the patch leads for the front, make it quite an expensive upgrade. One day. It still not as good as just having everything on the desk ready to go all the time.. Need me one of these :

http://www.midasconsoles.com/verona.php

Job done.
Go to top Post Reply