As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re: No stereo field? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: No stereo field?
No stereo field? 18 Years, 9 Months ago
I mean, I'm pretty new and all to music production, but I really must be missing something here...

I got a pair coming out my MD mains into my soundcard. I have the MD internal routing so that every track comes out the MAINs.

I have a kick panned hard left, a snare panned hard right.

From the MD headphone out, i hear the stereo field.
From my soundcard, i hear no stereo field. both are mono.

What the hell am i doing wrong? (i'm sure it's something totally stupid :-o )
  The topic has been locked.
Re: No stereo field? 18 Years, 9 Months ago
try bypassing your sound card, go direct to your amp and note if the problems still there.. if its stereo then your computer is the problem so play with your soundcard settings. if its still mono then it might be your amp. my guess is its your soundcard settings that are at fault. it cant possibly be the glorious MD.. right?
neonleg
well, my DAW is completely broken down right now (building a new PC), other than i have my soundcard (Presonus Firepod) still hooked up to my monitors.
so i have no "amp" (nor computer right now), or rather my soundcard is the only thing in the chain bringing sound to the monitors.
i have a simple pair out the MD, into the soundcard, and a pair out to the monitors.

does the soundcard require a connection to a computer to achieve a stereo field? i wouldn't think so...but maybe that is it?

basically, of the pair coming out the MD, if i unplug the Right main out, i hear only the snare, but in both speakers. if i unplug the Left main out, i hear only the kick, but also in both speakers.
Chain Chomp
Are you running any other gear? If not, then you can just plug in the left out of the MD into your left monitor and the right out into your right monitor. Not a great solution, but a sure-fire and quick one.

cchocjr
King Koopa
All your base are belong to us!
I'm just a curious non-Firepod owner. Do you normally control panning by software?
well yeah, in Cubase i normally control panning there, but for the machinedrum obviously i use it's hardware controls.

anyway, i guess i just have to get re-setup and it should work...i just don't see why it doesn't now!!
Killer Beez
are you rendering from one stereo track, or 2 mono tracks unpanned?

if 2 stereo tracks - then you might want to check your hardware configuration - ie, the software that controls your soundcard hardware. In Cubase, there is probably either hardware prefs, or some soundcard setup.

If 2 mono tracks - step one would be to hard pan them out - then make sure the hardware is configured properly

finally - make sure your amp and speakers are wired correctly... hey, you can never be too thorough!
well, like i said, things are mostly torn down now, must be somehow related...but here's the setup, why would i not hear panning?:

-MD internal routing all set to MAIN out
-pair out MD running into firepod soundcard
-pair out soundcard running to monitors

no computer is setup now, i have no amp, nada...just this.

i guess i just don't see why i don't get a stereo image like this? maybe when i have the computer all hooked up again it will work, but i guess i'm stumped on the theory for now
Go to top Post Reply