As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re: MD Basslines (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: MD Basslines
MD Basslines 18 Years, 9 Months ago
i'm curious what you guys do to get nice basslines out of the MD?

i've gotten some nice stuff myself out of it, mostly using the "808 like" (TR-?...i forget) kick drum machine, detuning it, lengthing the decay and programming param locks in for different pitch values.

i'd like to see what other machines you guys have used or other techniques to get some nice basslines out the MD.
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re: MD Basslines 18 Years, 9 Months ago
Hi, my name is richard. I've been lurking and reading messages while I learn to use my MD upgraded to UW.

For bass lines, I had some good results using some samples that came loaded in the UW upgrade. Also got some results from TRX-XT "Tom".

As far as pitch goes, I'm not too happy with the inability to give MD machines exact pitches from a twelve tone scale. It's strictly hit and miss!

Does anyone know a way to control MD machines to get exact musical pitches? Can you use a MIDI track to control an other internal track (machine) to get it to have precise half tones?
Killer Beez
Hammer Bro
I don't think that would work, since the MD doesn't allow you to play the drum sounds chromatically (like a normal sampler would).
Killer Beez
parameter locks...
Hammer Bro
oops, my reply was to the question of whether you could control the MD melodically by routing a midi machine back to the input.
so back on track...do any unfortunate MnM-less people really get into making basslines on the MD?

my friend did something once that sounded awesome...big rolling bass, with kind of a smooth drum and bass type sound. don't know how he did it!
Killer Beez
probably used the sin machine in the GND section. That thing kicks ass!!!
Yoshi
i don't have my MD around at the moment to exactly tell you but the E12 machines with retrigger work well for me. take a low tom sound for example, make it retrigger with very short interval and low-pass filter it. lfo or param-lock the interval and you're good to!
Cappy
the second basskick of TR machines (TRX-B2 the last one in the list).

You can realy get some awesome Fat Basslines out of that one.

just set the Hold parameter to a high value, then f*(k about with Pitch and Ramp para's.

Then set Noise, Dirt and Dist to your liking.

Set up a LFO and link that to (for example) FilterFreq.

Works fine for me.

Bart dB-)
Go to top Post Reply