As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re: message count difference between send and receive on MnM (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: message count difference between send and receive on MnM
Goomba
message count difference between send and receive on MnM 18 Years, 11 Months ago
I've read the FAQs and seem to have everything working fine with my PC setup using MIDI-OX and a Soundblaster Live! Value joystick/midi port. I've saved a full ('All') SysEx dump that the monomachine indicates as 296 messages. No errors on PC or MnM side that I can tell. I've reversed the process and sent that file from the PC to the MnM using the verify option on the MnM and for some reason the process seems to complete with no errors but the MnM only states that 288 messages are received.

I'm curious whether this is normal and some of the extra messages that are sent are later ignored when importing, or if this is some sort of error on sending to my PC and the MIDI buffers or something else is not capturing all the messages successfully. Again, their are no errors except for the discrepancy in the messages counted by the MnM.

I did have to tweak the delay between buffers on MIDI-OX to get that final send to complete with no errors on the PC. MIDI-OX doesn't really give a success message, the bar just disappears and the MnM has a 0 ERR count.

Mostly I just want to be sure the backups I'm making are usable before I upgrade the machine.
  The topic has been locked.
Re: message count difference between send and receive on MnM 18 Years, 11 Months ago
i believe that i spoke with one of the MnM developers about this before. he said its a bug and that it would eventually be fixed. but that the data could be trusted. it can. i did a full dump, then memory reset then dump back to the MnM last week and it worked just fine. so you should be cool. try using the verify option as well to inspire some confidence :-D
Cappy
Re: message count difference between send and receive on MnM 18 Years, 11 Months ago
...don't know if this is a bug right away... Have you tried using our new C6 util? It also counts messages from the MD and Mono dumps as far as I can remember. It could be interesting to know its message count.
Goomba
Thanks for the info. When I get a spare moment I'll try the C6 utility and report back on message counts for sysex send and receive on my monomachine to compare against the message counts when using MIDI-OX.
Re: message count difference between send and receive on MnM 18 Years, 10 Months ago
It seems I'm having an issue with the C6 utility. Pressing Receive only results in the File Info section displaying:
Record:Out of Memory

I've configured it using the same MIDI in/out as MIDI-OX. I was able to test Send using the verify mode on the Monomachine using the file I exported from the MnM using MIDI-OX. The messages reported by the MnM was the same at 280 messages sent. I'd like to try exporting to C6 but I'm not sure what the issue is.

The only MIDI port I have is on a Soundblaster Live Value card in a Windows ME machine. Any suggestions on the Out of Memory issue? I didn't see a way of priming C6 with a blank file or any other details in the manual that might be of help.

(didn't realize I was logged out - this is jmmygoggle)
Cappy
Re: message count difference between send and receive on MnM 18 Years, 10 Months ago
We haven't tested C6 Windows with anything else than Win XP. Probably the Out of Memory issue has something to do with this. Unfortunately I don't know if we'll get around fixing it, we don't have any system currently set up using anything else than XP, and people using Win95 derivates are declining. Do you have any possibility to try using C6 with XP to see if you get similar problems aor if the error is due to Win ME?
Cappy
...we might have found a solution to the out of memory problem on Win ME. If you contact us directly on info@elektron I could send you a version to try out!
Goomba
The alternate build of C6 fixed my out of memory error and I was able to send/receive from my WinME machine. This seems to bring me full circle to the initial post in this thread. Even with C6, the message count when sending the 'all' backup sysex file to the MnM for verification registers 288 messages of the 296 that it reports sending to C6 (or MIDI-OX for that matter).

I'm just wondering if I should even be concerned about this or just go ahead and upgrade, or if some trouble could be caused if I don't find a means or tool wherein the MnM verifies it has received all 296 messages. Are some of the extra messages only for the stream leaving the MnM and are later simply ignored when it receives the stream coming in? Or is something valuable possibly lost by the receiving programs during back up?

I'm guessing I should shut up and get on with this. Thanks so much for tarting up your C6 utility for those of us still burdened by the Win98 legacy. If somebody would yell that they've reinstalled a 288 message backup on WinME or WinXP with no problems I'd feel better too.
Goomba
Re: message count difference between send and receive on MnM 18 Years, 9 Months ago
After upgrading to OS1.05c messages sent by MnM is listed as 288, so maybe just a discrepancy in what was reported by the old OS and what was actually output. (I should worry so much about actually making music.)
Re: message count difference between send and receive on MnM 18 Years, 9 Months ago

jmmygoggle wrote:
After upgrading to OS1.05c messages sent by MnM is listed as 288, so maybe just a discrepancy in what was reported by the old OS and what was actually output. (I should worry so much about actually making music.)

Its those 8 global slots thats missing i think.
Go to top Post Reply