As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re: Monomachine Arpeggiator, Multi trig, and other questions (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: Monomachine Arpeggiator, Multi trig, and other questions
Cappy
Re: Monomachine Arpeggiator, Multi trig, and other questions 18 Years, 10 Months ago
...and so I should learn the peculiarities of this bbs and remember logging in when posting!
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Re: Monomachine Arpeggiator, Multi trig, and other questions 18 Years, 10 Months ago
Dang, fast reply!

When it comes to note off, I think we're talking about manually programming a yellow note off trig. Interesting that some arp settings respond and some don't -- I'll review the manual.

Daniel -> how do you envision detune being part of the sequencer? That's something I don't tweak much.
Killer Beez
hahaha! I knew Daniel would come through!

No, I did not know that the yellow LED's were note off - sweet!

I dont know what you mean by the sequencer having to little resolution, I have mine set so the Leds light up like the night rider car - they shoot by giving me plenty of resolution (you know, as the sequence progresses 1 led at a time lights...)

I see - now the decay makes perfect sense to me - and also the hold.

However, I still wish note off would automatically be inserted in after I take my finger off of the midi controller keys. Usually sequencers respond to this - are there any plans to add this capability? It would be nice to enable something like this - I mean, I am a keyboard player and would like to use the monomachine for improvisations at some point - its really difficult to do this when you have to manually program note off data over a 64 step sequence, you know?
as Daniel mentioned, the three Arp modes do different things. the one you guys seems to be referring to is SID mode. in the Sidstation, it holds your arpeggiated chord forever; i.e. after it's received the note off message and until it receives a new note it will continue to arpeggiate. so that mode ignores note off messages (signified by a yellow LED in the sequencer). the other two, Key and Add, do not. when you program a note off message in the sequencer, they shut off when they hit it.

Milkman, regarding your "is it like the MD" question... it's different! the MD has the Function+tweak option where if you hold function and change any parameter, the parameter will be changed to that value on all tracks. the MnM doesn't have this at all (for better or worse is open for interpretation). what it does have is a joystick. on each track, you can assign whatever you want to the joystick's up/down/left/right movements as you likely already know. what the Multi-Trig mode does effects this. there are a few different variations of multi-trig. one is "all trk" where if you play a note, it will play that note on all six tracks regardless of which track is active. and if you move the joystick up, it moves the joystick up (effectively) for all tracks. so the tracks don't do the *same* thing, per se. they do whatever their joystick up movement has been assigned to. this is the mode glaive was referring to. the other modes are "split key" which allows you to split the keyboard between two tracks and then it and the joystick only affects those two tracks, regardless of which track is active. the other modes are "seq start" and "seq transp" which allow you effectively gate and transpose your patterns, respectively.

hope that helps! :-D
Killer Beez
that does help - thanks. I need to build a standalone joystick I think :-D
Cappy

However, I still wish note off would automatically be inserted in after I take my finger off of the midi controller keys. Usually sequencers respond to this - are there any plans to add this capability? It would be nice to enable something like this - I mean, I am a keyboard player and would like to use the monomachine for improvisations at some point - its really difficult to do this when you have to manually program note off data over a 64 step sequence, you know?

As I said, the resolution is too low. The low resolution is what allows you to have such a great control over the individual steps with locks etc, but it is not suited for traditional realtime recording with note-off. We tried it while developing, and it wasn't good at all.

It might be hard to understand without first hand experience, but note-off aligned to 16:th notes is not very desirable. It would for example make staccato notes impossible to program (as they are shorter than 1/16 note). So, the grid sequencer is great for some things, but should stay out of trying to do all that a standard sequencer does!

Daniel
Admin

milkmansnd wrote:
that does help - thanks. I need to build a standalone joystick I think :-D

build me one why you're at it. :-D
Go to top Post Reply