As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re: Please back up your SPS-1UW data. (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: Please back up your SPS-1UW data.
Hammer Bro
Please back up your SPS-1UW data. 18 Years, 10 Months ago
I wish I did...the box just froze on me and when I rebooted, all my stuff was gone. Patterns, kits, samples, and global settings were all back to defaults.

This was on the original OS 1.29, not the 1.29b release...but I looked in the readme for 1.29b and didn't see any mention of this so I figure it is likely still a bug in 1.29b.

The freeze happened during normal editing in pattern mode, I had a 16 step pattern playing with about 5 tracks active, all E12 machines. In addition to that, I had *all 4* ram machines active, r2 recording some p1 in the first half of the pattern, then p2 playing that back in the second half. R2 start was 0, stop 32...can't recall what r1 was. about 16 parameter locks were in effect at the time of freeze.

I am sad for the loss of my stuff, but understand that this is an early product so I really should have backed up anyways! Oh well, back to the drawing board.
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re: Please back up your SPS-1UW data. 18 Years, 10 Months ago
We have had one other report on "return to factory default". That means the memory was garbled in some way. One of the few things that could be "dangerous" that we have added is the sample transfer, so if you did transfer any sample to the Machinedrum in the session before the crash we would be very interested in taking a close look at it.

If anyone encounter the "factory default reset" bug, please try remembering what you did between powering on and off the Machinedrum before turning it on again and getting the factory defaults (samples, kits and patterns) reinstalled. That's done because a sanity test is made on the battery backed memory upon boot, so the problem is not the boot, but what happened in the session before the power up where the factory defaults are reinstalled.

Please discuss here, in the official thread or send a report to support@elektron

Daniel
Hammer Bro
Daniel-

I am 95% certain that I had not done any transferring of samples to ROM within several days of when I had encountered this bug. As I mentioned, I was using the RAM machines a significant amount. Would it be possible to cause some sort of memory overflow if I had recorded both RAM machines at max length? The bpm was probably around 90 or so.

Again, I am almost completely certain that I hadn't done any sample transferring that day. I might have erased a few samples from ROM memory that weren't being used by my kits, but I haven't really gotten around to exploring the ROM-sampling capabilites of the unit just yet, so I feel confident in saying that this bug was not related to ROM sampling, at least in this particular instance.
I thought about this some more and now I realize that I may have actually been loading a sample or two during the session when the MD froze...I emailed the samples to elektron support, maybe it will shed some light on the problem.
Go to top Post Reply