As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re: Monomachine: Dynamix (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re: Monomachine: Dynamix
Admin
OT, MD-UW Mk2, SFX-60 Mk2, SFX-6
scottkellogg.com
Monomachine: Dynamix 18 Years, 11 Months ago
Hello,

I am planning to drive Reason 3 from the MIDI tracks of my Monomachine. In order to simplify setup and not have to use a mixer, I want to run the output of Reason into an Input FX machine on Track 5, and run the entire mix of all tracks through a Dynamix FX machine running on Track 6:

Track 1: Inst A
Track 2: Inst B
Track 3: Inst C
Track 4: Inst D
Track 5: Input FX (Reason master output)
Track 6: Dynamix FX (input bus AB, where tracks 1-5 are outputting on bus A

I will be able to control the overall level and character of the sound by using this schema, but I'm not very experienced with either compressors generally or the Dynamix specifically, so I am looking for some discussion of ramifications of my plan that haven't occurred to me.

I'll be able to map some interesting track parameters to the joystick on Track 6, thus being able to do some radical timbre shifts on the whole mix at one time. DJ-style EQ kills, anyone? Niiiiice.

New 100% Monomachine Glaive track here: http://www.glaive.org/mp3/glaive_define_it.mp3.
  The topic has been locked.
Hammer Bro
Re: Monomachine: Dynamix 18 Years, 11 Months ago
It depends on what sort of stuff you're sending to the MnM from reason. If it's a few tracks of drums, routing the master bus through the dynamix would be great. But if you have, for example, a drum track together with a pad sound, you might not be thrilled with the pumping that could occur...or maybe that's the sound you're going for. So how good of an idea this is depends on what you're sending on the reason mix, and what kind of dynamics artifacts you like.
Admin
scottkellogg.com
Re: Monomachine: Dynamix 18 Years, 11 Months ago
I am looking for the Dynamix to serve mostly as a limiter, and to impart a sonic character to the overall mix going to the house. Plus, I think I can do some fun, freaky things with the track effects with filtering, SRR, and the like.
Re: Monomachine: Dynamix 18 Years, 10 Months ago
I am planning a sort like thing, Today or tomorrow i receive mijn V-synth. Wich i am planning to route trhue the mono. Hope it works well.

But i was thinking to put the v-synth input on Track #1 so i can also put effects on it on the next tracks. And Dynamix on track #6.

Its more for just a litte more grip on the overall sound since you can already do some compression within reason and the v-synth.

Good luck with experimenting!

can't whait to start with my new v-synth/mono setup.. :-D
Admin
scottkellogg.com
Rather than using Reason, I ended up buying a Evolver
And how is the evolver going thru your mono....?
I have my v-synth now at home...but my mono still in studio...

V-synth is very very cool bye the way...
The design is shit
The presets are shit....

But to be honest it blows my mono away if it comes tot analog modeling..

Do you have to press al the trigkeys in order to get music thru the dynamix? Does it have a negative effect on the input comming out?
Admin
scottkellogg.com
Well, the Mono is not a VA, so that doesn't suprise me.

You need to put a trig on step 1 on your FX track, and set DEC and REL to 127 to keep the gate open.

I'm still getting up to speed on the Evo. Once I have, say 5-10 good sequences, I'll hook it up to the Mono.
Killer Beez
how is the mono not a VA in your opinion? Are any waveforms generated in an analog manner? I am fairly sure that the Saw, and GND, and SID are emulations of analog - therefore VA, no?

However, the filter design is decidedly unlike any analog filter you will see - so in that respect, the mono is quite different.

Saying the Roland V-synth blows the mono away on the other hand would be enough to trigger a spit-take and spray water all over the table. I have heard the V-synth and I thought it was a joke - besides the point that its COMPLETELY different than the monomachine!!! Apples and elephants.
Admin
scottkellogg.com
What I was specifically referring to is the Monomachine is not advertised as a VA synth. The Virus, Supernova, Nord Lead, etc. are marketed this way. The Mono is a VA in as much as it has the SuperWave and GND machines, but I think that's where the VA concept ends.

You are entirely correct about the Mono's filter design being unlike a traditional VA synth. Although the Mono's filter is simple, I find it to be flexible and, above all, musical.

So yeah, the Mono does VA, but it does much more. Neener neener
Pal
Goomba
Today i hooked up the V-synth on my Mono and i am experimenting with it.. Now i have it running thrue the thrue track but it still effects my input and that is something i dont always want...

Is it possible te disable al the lfo's for instance?
Go to top Post Reply