As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Quick Question: Does anyone own an A4 without paint issues?? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Quick Question: Does anyone own an A4 without paint issues??
Cappy
Quick Question: Does anyone own an A4 without paint issues?? 10 Years, 6 Months ago
Just wondering if I should spend the extra $ for a newer one.. of course, I only would if the paint was improved. I heard of someone receiving a unit in August that still had paint chipping issues..
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re:Quick Question: Does anyone own an A4 without paint issues?? 10 Years, 6 Months ago
i haven't noticed anything on mine but it hasn't left my workspace either. is it chipping just after time or when it is being transported around?
Cappy
Re:Quick Question: Does anyone own an A4 without paint issues?? 10 Years, 6 Months ago
I hear of people receiving them brand new with chips present. I also heard of people complaining about it easily rubbing off near the knobs. I think the chips are usually near the screws. I also hear it's easy to chip the paint when doing something as simple as letting the end of a cable hit the finish without much force. Sounds pretty shitty lol.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
I just received one from JRR Shop last week, and it had two new-moon slivers of paint missing around the outside of the two right-most screws. I don't know how "new" this A4 was, but it had OS1.05 on it.

I'm not going to do anything about these, unless there are major chips everywhere after using it in my studio for a few months - I have a lot of cables running around everywhere, so we'll see.

The thing that I notice is that the A4 has the smooth black paint everywhere, so theoretically it can chip anywhere (not just the face plate). The OT has the rougher feeling black paint - it just feels like a better quality paint overall.

... but I bought these beasts for their sounds and groove-making abilities, not their paint-jobs..so I really don't care if the A4 loses a few chips here or there.
Cappy
I like to think I'll keep a synth forever when I buy one, but I know how I like to buy and sell these things. That being said, condition has a huge affect on value. I'd make a strong wager that ten years from now, the ones with the good paint will fetch a considerably higher price on the market.
Hero of Winds
OP-1 and Ableton Live (everything else is waiting for studio renovations...which are slow since I'm doing it)
^ good point! I was just speaking of my own use of the A4, not resale value
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
Ive had mine since the first week they were released and Ive had no issues thus far. But to be honest this machine is never getting sold unless they come out with an A4 mk2 with more patch space.
King Koopa
Gear Includes:
Elektron Analog 4
Elektron Monomachine
DSI Tempest
MPC 1000 (Custom)
Korg ESX1
Korg ER1
Various Monosynths
NI Maschine
Ive had mine since the first week they were released and Ive had no issues thus far. But to be honest this machine is never getting sold unless they come out with an A4 mk2 with more patch space.
Cappy
I went ahead and ordered one. The place I ordered from said their stock is four months old; I pray to the synth gods I get one with the good paint.
Go to top Post Reply