As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:MD program change LAG (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:MD program change LAG
Admin
MD program change LAG 10 Years, 6 Months ago
got a problem:

i am using OT as the master, going into MD, and thru to MnM. the OT has program change send enabled, MD and MnM have program change receive enabled. when i change patterns, the MnM responds instantly but the MD waits one cycle and has the pattern that i have already switched to cued up on the screen as in patter chaining mode, but is still playing the previous pattern.

this won't due at all for a live set coming up next tuesday...

any ideas?
  The topic has been locked.
Admin
Re:MD program change LAG 10 Years, 6 Months ago
bump?

King Koopa
Soundcloud
Trinity SH101 Juno6 JX3P cs10 NM1 Z1 K5000s MB33II Ipad3 MicroQ TX81z DX200 WS/AD VZ8m XD5 DP4 Gtrz
I had same issue with MD & MM using identical midi chain a while back.

My workaround for the MD was to trigger patterns via note. You can assign each MD pattern to a note and use a p-locked OT midi channel note to change patterns instantaneously. If using lots of patterns I found it useful to write down each MD pattern's note for future reference & to avoid double ups.

Re: MM, I believe you can do the same trick, although I don't take the MM live so just sample its sequences into another device & live with the one pattern cue delay out of laziness & just use program changes.

I know that the other method is to match up each OT pattern to its MM/MD brethren... ie. OT pat A1 plays with MD A1, MM A1... change to OT pat B7 also makes MM/MD jump to their pat B7 etc etc. Issue with this is that you only get to use the first 8 OT banks as the 2nd 8 won't have counterparts on the MD/OT.

In saying all this, sometimes I mute the OT midi channels for MD/MM so i can create smoother seagues into next track by choosing when I want each device to change over. Unmute the relevant OT channel when you want the relevant device to jump to the new song/pattern.
Admin
ozone, i really appreciate the detailed response

i was hoping there was an easy fix, but like much in the elektron system, a blatant problem leads to creative solutions one could not have arrived at otherwise.

great suggestions, and i think i will probably use at least the note triggered pattern change and mute the midi track until i am ready to play.

that said, for reasons beyond my understanding, i have been manually triggering pattern changes per machine for years now. if all else fails before next tuesday, i'll work harder, not smarter.

thanks!

on another note, i have actually started a brand new live set on another bank... just to make sure i am totally secure with what i will be playing live for the first time. i apparently love working under pressure.
King Koopa
Soundcloud
Trinity SH101 Juno6 JX3P cs10 NM1 Z1 K5000s MB33II Ipad3 MicroQ TX81z DX200 WS/AD VZ8m XD5 DP4 Gtrz
No worries Kirlian, good luck with it.

Can totally relate to the work under pressure situation.
Sometimes more gets done in hours than months.
King Koopa
This sounds like a bug right? Have you told elektron ?

I hope it will be fixed, as i will eventually be chaining these same 3 boxes...
Go to top Post Reply