As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Which daw or soft are you using? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Which daw or soft are you using?
Chain Chomp
Re:Which daw or soft are you using? 10 Years, 10 Months ago
That's funny you say that about pro tools. I always wanted to take a stab at it but it seems kind of one sided
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
license wrote:
I just use Reaper as a glorified tape recorder and I agree that it sucks for syncing.

Renoise is rock-solid but is annoying for recording anything other than loops. I don't use it as much as I used to but it's a handy wave editor . Too bad the OT doesn't like its file format. :|

yeah the editor rocks. one thing that i miss, however, is threshold recording. but they recently announced that the next release will be 3.0, and i guess they've done a lot under the hood, so hope this is one of the feature that will make it. sunvox has it though.

what do you mean the OT doesn't like it's file format? you're probably aware, but by default, renoise saves audio as flac by default. you can easily change that in the settings though....
King Koopa
Octatrack
Nord Micro Modular
Shruthi-1
TX81Z
MPC1000
22tape wrote:

yeah the editor rocks. one thing that i miss, however, is threshold recording. but they recently announced that the next release will be 3.0, and i guess they've done a lot under the hood, so hope this is one of the feature that will make it. sunvox has it though.

Ah, nice. I didn't even know it had that.

I just want a way to do the equivalent of one-shot trigs (play and record) so you can play, mix, and process streaming audio alongside the tracker patterns. I will be a happy boy if that ever happens. It seems like they were kind of heading in that direction with that new sample play mode where it appropriately resumes sample playback regardless of what step you start playback on.

what do you mean the OT doesn't like it's file format? you're probably aware, but by default, renoise saves audio as flac by default. you can easily change that in the settings though....

Actually, it's the wave format - it's 32 bit floating point. I couldn't find a way to change it but at the moment I was looking for a solution, I was probably in a hurry. If there's a way to switch this to 16/24 bit integer (or a format the OT likes) I'm all ears
vvd
Cappy
Harrison Mixbus here. Love the mixer as it comes with all I need most on every channel: HP, EQ, Limiter/Comp/Leveller. Also has a nice tape saturation for the master/busses.
Chain Chomp
"I just want a way to do the equivalent of one-shot trigs (play and record) so you can play, mix, and process streaming audio alongside the tracker patterns. I will be a happy boy if that ever happens. It seems like they were kind of heading in that direction with that new sample play mode where it appropriately resumes sample playback regardless of what step you start playback on."

that would be fantastic.

"Actually, it's the wave format - it's 32 bit floating point. I couldn't find a way to change it but at the moment I was looking for a solution, I was probably in a hurry. If there's a way to switch this to 16/24 bit integer (or a format the OT likes) I'm all ears "

i think you're right-- there's no way, when you "save all samples as" from the instrument list, to change it from 32 bit.

another option would be to drop the desired samples into different tracks in the pattern then "render song to disc", choose your bit depth, then check "save each track as a separate file".
King Koopa
Octatrack
Nord Micro Modular
Shruthi-1
TX81Z
MPC1000
22tape wrote:
"I just want a way to do the equivalent of one-shot trigs (play and record) so you can play, mix, and process streaming audio alongside the tracker patterns. I will be a happy boy if that ever happens. It seems like they were kind of heading in that direction with that new sample play mode where it appropriately resumes sample playback regardless of what step you start playback on."

that would be fantastic.

And for me, the biggest reason it would be fantastic is Renoise's solid MIDI clock. I've never used anything so DAW-like with such solid MIDI clock (I'm not a Live user...) and basically the only major thing it's missing is the ability to record multitrack audio. It's great as a sampler, it's awkward as a recorder. I could care less whether they ever get a piano roll, I just want to record & play my jams!

i think you're right-- there's no way, when you "save all samples as" from the instrument list, to change it from 32 bit.

another option would be to drop the desired samples into different tracks in the pattern then "render song to disc", choose your bit depth, then check "save each track as a separate file".

Yep, it's absolutely an option when rendering down. My issue is that I love Renoise for editing short samples like drums. It's a little limited, but so much faster than anything else I've used. Rendering down is great for loops, but it's a bit awkward for one-shots.
Goomba
I also use Ableton Live for experimenting, playing and recording, then I move into Auria to work on the structure, and then Logic for effects, mastering, etc. Not the fastest workflow, and I don't have compelling reasons for it (you can do all this in Logic, Live, even Auria... No need to move between the three), but it works for me.

On the VST issue, too many favourites soft synths: Absynth, Alchemy, Diva, FM8, LuSH-101, Razor, Skanner XT... And I love to play The Giant piano with the OctaTrack.
Chain Chomp
MD uw
Octatrack
Monomachine mkII +Drive
Re:Which daw or soft are you using? 10 Years, 6 Months ago
vvd wrote:
Harrison Mixbus here. Love the mixer as it comes with all I need most on every channel: HP, EQ, Limiter/Comp/Leveller. Also has a nice tape saturation for the master/busses.

I agree DuDe !!
Got it yesterday and it is doing already things that i would love from an analog desk.
Of course it is digital, but less polite than other DAWs...and i appreciate this a lot
Possibilietes to route ProTools into it - it's just superfun
Go to top Post Reply