As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:My new A4 has low volume output (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:My new A4 has low volume output
King Koopa
My new A4 has low volume output 10 Years, 7 Months ago
Can someone please do a simple test for me so i can tell if there is something wrong with my new A4?

Using the factory preset A1(unedited of course) in A4 firmware 1.06, can you tell me what the stereo audio output level is(straight out of the A4, with no processing)?

My unit seems to have a low output volume compared to the other elektron boxes i have.
I have to crank up my preamp gain to get it to same volume as other gear.

This doesn't seem right...

By the way, i have done factory reset too....
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:My new A4 has low volume output 10 Years, 7 Months ago
pretty sure that's normal
Cappy
i think its normal . Why ? i don´t know why but , in my case, i have connected my Analog four in a behringer mixer . A4 volume + mixer = more volume . Thats why i hear the a4 volume correctly .
I connected a headphones into the headphone output of the A4 and i noticed a low volume output , so i suppose you need a extra amplifier ( a mixer or increase the speakers gain ) .
Chain Chomp
I had the same issue when I first got my A4.
Play with the OVR (overdrive) in the filter a bit, you will notice a difference, also note the OSC level as well.
So I'm the only one who thinks it sounds louder than the other boxes? If I am using the A4 with headphones I can rarely go above 25% before it is really too loud for my ears...

Then again as Marcel says the overdrive and filter settings can do drastic changes to loudness
King Koopa
That's good to know, thanks for the responses to ease my concerns here !

Now i just need to figure out why usb is not working for backups...
(i need to try with a different computer)
Boo
A note on users working a lot with headphones:
Volume depends on the headphone's impedance. If you feel the A4 is too low with your headphones consider getting louder ones or use a headphone preamp to turn up volumes otherwise it will mess a lot with your sound design and mix. If you use overdrive and always max out OSC levels and track volumes you'll loose 80% of the A4's sonic spectrum. As always with most analog gear, gainstaging is crucial for a good sound. Sometimes lower OSC levels and less filterdrive results in the strongest and punchiest sounds.
Goomba
MDUWmkII, A4
If I run an average pattern on my A4 and MD usually I put the master volume on A4 at max and MV on MD at 50-60% to have the same level on the mixer.

First it was a bit strange, but now I think that maybe the MD is too hot not the A4 too quiet.
King Koopa
I could never understand why the Mono and MD outputs were so hot, I couldn't go much past twelve O'clock with the volume knob, when recording their output.
The A4 seems just right.
Boo
The Md and MM push oyurt serious volume from the head-out
But the A4 is just right , I never go past the 12 mark
Go to top Post Reply