As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:New A4 user questions (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:New A4 user questions
King Koopa
New A4 user questions 10 Years, 6 Months ago
I just bought a new A4 but am having some issues which makes me wonder if the unit is defective and needs to be returned soon. Keep in mind i have only messed around with the factory presets so far...

Issues/questions:

- The output seems low compared to other elektron boxes. - Normal?

- The fx track mute button does not seem to do anything at all(except turn led on/off). It definitely does not mute fx when pressed(while holding function)

- I have an older pc with windows XP and using newest version of C6. USB does not work even once for backup. It shows bytes being received or sent, but then it just locks up right away, even when i tried different delay settings. I also set the midi port config on a4 to "USB" only.
C6 actually crashes and shuts down this PC sometimes when trying to close C6 or turn off A4!!

The only way i was able to get a backup to work is using a TM1 with midi cables. BUT, it is very strange: I have turbo on and it starts working, but then on it's own it turns off turbo after a little while and then just moves SO SLOW. It does end up creating a backup that works though. Is turbo supposed to work for sysex/firmware transfers, or not?

Also, this newest version of C6 crashes my PC(actually blue screens and shuts off the pc sometimes!!) Is this version C6 NOT compatible with win XP?

Sorry if search would find some of these answers. I tried and now it is bedtime and go to work...

GRIPE: I am just so sick of spending lots of money on technology and then having problems which take up all my spare time !! It happens with everything, software & hardware !
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Re:New A4 user questions 10 Years, 6 Months ago
The output is determined by alot of things. You have the track volume, osc volumes and amp amount. On top of that, the first filter looses alot of volume when closing it. You can cranck everything up to be just as loud as an octatrack, but that might cause some analog clipping.
In theory, the A4 is much louder according to specs (+19dbu) then the OT (+10dbu)

The FX mute mutes the sequencer for the FX. If you have triggers that change the FX, the triggers are not fired anymore when muted

C6 works fine on windows7/8, sorry no experience with XP. Sure you are using 1.4F?
Goomba
Thanks for explaining that it mutes the seq for FX. I'd not understood that either!

I can't find a velocity mod parameter for amp or filter env. You can adjust note velocity, but how do you set what this does to the sound? I can't believe a new synth product like this wouldn't be velocity sensitive!
Goomba
press function-osc1...scroll to velocity-mod
Goomba
A4
MD
MnM
OT
I have used C6 on XP without problems.

The only issue I had was the midi connection. I had to try a couple of midi interfaces before I had success.
Goomba
I had problems with C6 and XP too, vern. I ended using another computer with windows 7 to transfer sysex, I wasn't able to use it with XP
Goomba
I had problems with C6 and XP too, vern. I ended using another computer with windows 7 to transfer sysex, I wasn't able to use it with XP
Goomba
Thanks @Switchbox. Funny how the manual doesn't mention that! Elektron need to get their documentation act together in a big way
Goomba
A4, MnM, DSI MEK-x2, Waldorf Pulse+, Q, XT, Blofeld, Miniworks 4-Pole Filter; Virus KC, KB; Korg DW8000,;Alesis Fusion;Minibrute; Quasimidi Polymorph
Before this forum is 'locked' and new one opens and being a brand new A4 user, have been gleaning as much info from this forum and even printing some out as 'addendums' to the more than likely work in progress A4 user manual and indeed learning more each day. Love the A4 but am really hoping the documentation is perhaps compiled better in upcoming Elektronauts Forum and perhaps separate sections for each machine.
Wondering because they may have some major feature upgrades coming is reason perhaps more detailed addendums have not been added. People need to realize the A4 appeals in a new way that for many, this is their very first Elektron Machine and you just cannot assume people understand the Elektron way nor even musically work in a fashion of previous machines.

For instance, some of us that are more analog synthesis focused would be more apt to own two Analog Four's (or more) rather than the other machines due to hardware already own and totally different way of working.
Go to top Post Reply