As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Can I load 808/909 samples on MD UW? (vs. octatrack?) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Can I load 808/909 samples on MD UW? (vs. octatrack?)
Chain Chomp
Re:Can I load 808/909 samples on MD UW? (vs. octatrack?) 10 Years, 8 Months ago
josker wrote:
SBSIX wrote:

The OT can do round robin really well. You can load a file with up to 64 samples in 1 slot and then slice it to 64 separate parts. You can even use lfo's to playback the different slices, or the crossfader, or p-locks.

Another related question - more of a check to see if I'm doing it right. The way I'd do round robin on the OT is load up a sample chain, then slice it up, then set up a random LFO with a depth equal to the number of slices in the chain. This would give me a random variation with every sample in the chain occurring as often. Right?

Yes, but there is even a shorter way. After slicing, you have the option to create random locks. It creates random p-locks on each of the triggers in your grid.
  The topic has been locked.
SBSIX wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:
SBSIX wrote:

The OT can do round robin really well. You can load a file with up to 64 samples in 1 slot and then slice it to 64 separate parts. You can even use lfo's to playback the different slices, or the crossfader, or p-locks.

A related question:

Does a batch converter exist that automatically makes one long sample out of 64 short samples, with a bit of silence between the samples.? Doing it manually takes ages, if you got 64 kicks, 64 snares, 64 hats and so on.

I do this in ableton, just drag the samples on a grid with equal distance from each other, consolidate them and you are done. It's not much more work than selecting samples and running a batch tool. Once you have 64 kicks/hats/etc you can rock on for months or even years

But I'm lazy... It's not a dealbreaker or anything, it'd be just nice to have a program that does it automatically. Just copy 64 kicks to a folder named kicks, then run the program and a moment later you'll have a long sample that contains all the kicks with half a second of silence between the kicks.
Chain Chomp
Barfunkel wrote:
But I'm lazy... It's not a dealbreaker or anything, it'd be just nice to have a program that does it automatically. Just copy 64 kicks to a folder named kicks, then run the program and a moment later you'll have a long sample that contains all the kicks with half a second of silence between the kicks.

Adding all samples to a long file with 1/2 second silence would not work. The sample starting point has to be equal distance from each other. This would only work if the source samples were exactly the same length.

I could be wrong but with the ideal tool it would be:
- launch the tool
- Drag/drop 64 samples into a folder
- point the tool to that folder
- run the tool

In ableton it would be:
- Launch ableton
- Drag/drop 64 samples onto the grid
- Select all samples and press ctrl-j (consolidate)

This results in a perfectly slicable sample in the consolidated folder of your project. Sounds to me that it's even faster than the ideal folder tool
Goomba
Hm, so out of curiosity, no one is really doing this on the MD?

I'm assuming the process would be to create a 2 bar sample with whichever round robin samples you want within and have the MD start at a different point on the sample? Though maybe it's not worth it in the end if it's a huge hassle...
Chain Chomp
waffl wrote:
Hm, so out of curiosity, no one is really doing this on the MD?

I'm assuming the process would be to create a 2 bar sample with whichever round robin samples you want within and have the MD start at a different point on the sample? Though maybe it's not worth it in the end if it's a huge hassle...

The big difference is that on the OT, you can modulate/p_lock the slice number, on the MD it's the start time of the entire sample. That's a big difference in practice. Apart from that, if you have like 16 samples in one file for the MD, the start time param is not fine grained enough to set the exact starting times. I ended up with missing transients, even when loading samples in the higher slot numbers which should have linear time values.
Go to top Post Reply