As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:Walforf Blofeld, Monomachine or Analog 4? (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Walforf Blofeld, Monomachine or Analog 4?
Goomba
Re:Walforf Blofeld, Monomachine or Analog 4? 10 Years, 8 Months ago
Cool thanks. My only worry with the octatrack is that its only a sampler and im looking with more synthesis and sound creation.
  The topic has been locked.
Boo
"Only" a sampler? First of all, samplers are synths with unlimited sound palates, especially the OT. But watch this for traditional synthesis:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW1laQnOx0M

Type into youtube "Octatrack only" and see what pops up:

Made on an Octatrack ONLY: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8S81iDxUio

Type "Monomachine Only" or "Analog 4 only" and see what comes up- except for one Mr. Dataline (guy's a master) video with the A4, not much.

Second, watch this guy (he's somewhere around here on these forums) who's mastered the art of the the OT+Blofeld midi control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jh1q0R4zl0

I don't except to change your mind, but the term "just a sampler" is kinda a noobie thing to say when it comes to music, sorry to say. The EMU SP-1200 and Emulator I, II and III were "just a samplers". Same with the Ensoniq ASR-10 and the Mirage. The AKAI S- series etc, etc, etc. Half the sounds of 808s and 909s are samples run through filters. As are MOST of the sounds of all the TR-X series drum machines before them. The Linndrum was all samples. Ask people how they feel about the "super drum synth" the Tempest and then ask them if they'd rather have an Linndrum or an SP-1200.....

Like I said, I waited to get the OT because people around here made it seem like some untamable beast- it isn't at all- it's easy to jump in and start- just takes a long time time master. But if you're really between the A4 or the MnM get an A4. The A4 probably is headed for a few significant firmware updates within the next few years (like all other Elektron gear before it), and the MnM is best if used within a larger live setup or studio- because of it's midi sequencer.
Goomba
Sorry, when I said "just a sampler" I didn't mean it in a bad way, I understand its an incredbly powerful tool, I just meant that in order for it to reach its full potential you have to put samples on there and I dont really want to deal with that. Plus, I'm set on getting a MD UW so any minor sampling I see myself doing could be handled by that.
Cappy
Gear:

Octatrack
Waldorf Blofeld
If money is no object A4 is pretty sick. The blofeld is a nice synth but you're gonna want the OT to sequence it because the MD sequencer is confusing and a tad limited. A4 with its own sequencer might give you what you want, for $600 more dollars of course
Goomba
Whats the 600 dollars for? Cant the A4 sequence itself?
Boo
I say spending $1,500 on a OT and a Blofeld is money better spent than 1,200 an A4 alone if all you have otherwise is an MD. I don't own a Blofeld (I have 4 other synths besides the A4, though I'd take a Blofeld to play with and try out if it was cheap enough-seen them sell for $300 on eBay and Craigs List).

A4 is a great 4 track monosynth with an Elektron sequencer. But it's good at very specific things and like all analog monos- you know one when you hear one.

But a polysynth/sampler with 8 voices and a built in sequencer with the ability to get about 10 more voices out of another polysynth gives you way more "sound shaping" capabilities than either 4 tracks of simultaneous mono out of an A4 or 6 tracks of mono that can become a poly by subtracting tracks. It's pretty simple math.

I guess the real question is- do you just want to jump in and start making music or do you want to sit down and program patches all day for a few months, then feel like you're making music? Because you say you "don't want to deal with" samples, but programming synth patches is MUCH more time consuming (albiet, rewarding- sometimes) unless you plan on using presets.

I don't think you really understand sampling or the capabilities of the OT. It isn't just sitting there with a mic or a vinyl playing and recording stuff, nor is it just downloading loops, nor is it remixing songs, nor is it having 24-bit recordings of the sounds made by every synth and drum machine ever created at your finger tips- it's all of that x 8 plus midi sequencing plus scenes (what you can do with that crossfader is probably the thing I understood the least for the longest time and it's simply incredible).

To me, the OT is an essential piece of gear if your goal is to get off the computer. It's really the first true "Hardware DAW".
Chain Chomp
RyanA4 wrote:
To me, the OT is an essential piece of gear if your goal is to get off the computer. It's really the first true "Hardware DAW".

I thought the KORG M1 was supposed to be the first digital workstation, but I agree with you...
It has become my sampling, mutiltrack, synthesizing, drummachine midi sequencing workstation... yeah, tell me what it can't do?
Goomba
Wow, I love your enthusiasm for the OT, I gotta rethink my hypothetical setup!
Cappy
Gear:

Octatrack
Waldorf Blofeld
The a4 is $600 more than a used Blofeld.

Either way the poster above me has it right. OT is the first hardware DAW in the style of Ableton Live which is itself a pretty awesome concept.
Go to top Post Reply