As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Gear Re:A4 vs OT for sequencing SH-101 (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:A4 vs OT for sequencing SH-101
Goomba
A4 vs OT for sequencing SH-101 10 Years, 9 Months ago
I'm looking at getting either an Analog 4 or Octatrack to sequence my sh-101, and perhaps a Juno 106 later down the track.

Apart from the Analog 4 having the ability to sequence in cv (which doesn't particularly bother me as I already have a cv/midi converter) is there any main differences in the way they sequence? Or are they both the same?
I'm aware that one is a sampler and the other a synth, but am just looking at each for their sequencing capabilities just now.

I'd also be interested in hearing anyone's experience with using either one of them as a sequencer.

Thanks
  The topic has been locked.
Cappy
Re:A4 vs OT for sequencing SH-101 10 Years, 9 Months ago
If you're only after a sequencer for your monophonic analog synth and 4 control voltages is enough for you, the A4 would be the better choice:
- Glide and Bend works out of the box
- you gain two additional, very flexible digital ADSRs and LFOs that can be routed to the CV outs.
- the "direct jump" method for pattern change allows you to do fill-ins very easily.

in comparison the OT has 3 LFOs per MIDI Track (and you have 8 midi tracks!) but no ADSR. The OT's LFOs indeed are very flexible, have different waveforms and can be changed to a one-shot behavior. In some cases this is a substitute for an adsr, but i prefer adsr.

I never managed to do programm glide and bend with the OT's midi sequencer, while this is just one (two, to be exact) fingertip(s) away on the A4.

Just to be shure it's mentioned: The A4 adds 4 flexible and easy-to-use monophonic synths to your setup. The OT gives you a crazy 8-track-sample-mangling unit. It's easy to produce great electronic dance music with the only two black elektron boxes on the fly if you have some drum oneshots on your CF Card (and the ot comes with enough of them)
Cappy
Addition: I used the OT to sequence an Acces Virus, Doepfer Dark Energy, Shruthi and a Voyager via MIDI. It worked and was fun. Later i sequenced the Dark Energy with the A4 which was much more fun. Today i have the most fun only with OT and A4. This helps me a lot to focus on the music (and is also a sexy, small and lightweight setup). I lost some sonic capabilities but i don't really miss them.
The fact that the OT has 8 MIDI tracks, and different length per track, as well as different clock multiplier per track, makes it a clear winner when it comes to sequencing external gear. The LFO designer also rocks hard, and you can actually sequence MIDI synths as well.
Not putting down the A4, I'm in love with it, and think it's a beast. But the OT sequencer is just better implemented.
Oh yes, the micro timing setup in the OT is just brilliant, also.
Overall, you're probably going to end up with both, if you like Elektron's way of working
Cheers !
Cappy
Analog Four
Korg X5D
Moog Rogue
Roland V-Synth
TB-303
TR-909
x0xb0x
Rm1x
humancertainty wrote:
I'm looking at getting either an Analog 4 or Octatrack to sequence my sh-101, and perhaps a Juno 106 later down the track.

Apart from the Analog 4 having the ability to sequence in cv (which doesn't particularly bother me as I already have a cv/midi converter) is there any main differences in the way they sequence? Or are they both the same?
I'm aware that one is a sampler and the other a synth, but am just looking at each for their sequencing capabilities just now.

I'd also be interested in hearing anyone's experience with using either one of them as a sequencer.

Thanks

If you're only looking for a "hardware sequencer" I would suggest a Doepfer Dark Time or something similar.

A4 is good IF (and only if) you're looking to sequence ANALOG gear (Gear with CV/Gate inputs). The A4 does not MIDI sequence. I use my A4 to sequence old analog gear through CV/Gate. If I need a MIDI sequencer, I just use my laptop DAW.

PS: The converter you have is most likely MIDI to CV, NOT CV to MIDI. You need to check.
Goomba
I was in the same situation as you but with my modded MC202
I went with the OT as its a good all rounder. It will do the job you want plus sample and layer it.
The A4 didn't seem to make as much sense if you already have some cool synths or you ain't too good at synthesis.
I say 8 tracks of midi beats a couple of CVs especially when you have a converter.
Go to top Post Reply