As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Re:OT - making SampleChains within OT (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT - making SampleChains within OT
Chain Chomp
MD uw
Octatrack
Monomachine mkII +Drive
OT - making SampleChains within OT 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Hi guys.....finally i got a method to create chains within OT without using any computer software (i found the DAW snap-to-grid procedure too boring...)

Anyway, here we go...

1- put folders of one shots of your taste inside AudioPool
2- create a 64 steps pattern - all will happen on Track 1 (Static)
3- put trigs on every steps for 64 steps.
4- scale the pattern to 1/8 and BPM to 120 (with 1/8 there is enough time to let the sample complete its envelope)
5- sample-lock every step sequencially so they trigger Static Sample Slots going from 1 to 64
6- fill the SampleSlots up to the 64th position with your one shots
7- go to Memory menu: and choose your desired Recorder format (i use 24 bit) then Reserve Recordings only for R1 and Length in order to obtain 512 steps (64*8). DONT FORGET TO press EXIT and then YES in order to save these settings, otherwise the Recorder will not record properly...
8- open Recorder 1 and put a one-shot-trig on the first step, locked only to SRC3 (set to record T1)
9- press Play and the Recorder will start to record what is happening on Track1.......every step plays a different oneshot sample from the first up to the 64th. Recording should last about one minute (if i remember correctly 64seconds...)
10- once the Recorder automatically stops press FUNCT+EDIT then confirm on EDIT THIS RECORDING
11- inside the AudioEditor i perform a Normalization then -3dB attenuation
12- create a slice grid of 64 not aligned
13- reduce the Gain Boost back to 0.0 dB
14- save a copy of the sample chain giving it a name (i use something like SNARES-1_64, where 64 indicates the number of samples in the chain)

SampleChain number 1 done…..

Now it's time to create a new chain by substituting those 64 oneshots ….BUT…..this is really time consuming…so the Purge Samples function could come useful if only it would work properly….but i've already seen a couple of posts describing its behavior as buggy……and my trying confirm this, since cleaning the Pattern (after copying it with FUNCT+REC or copying the Track1 in Grid mode) and performing the Purge doesn't remove any sample from slots…..So,,,,,,time for a workaround here.

Delete the Project you are in and create a new one (or just create only a new one without deleting).
Then repeat steps #2-4-7 and Paste the copied Track (so you get back those 64 sample locked trigs) but now with an empty Static Slot List that you can fill quickly with new 64 oneshots.
Repeating the resampling of T1 performs the creation of a new samplechain.
And so forth….

If you need i can try to make a video to show also how quickly you can fill those 64 slots.

This procedure works really well for me and in really less than an afternoon i completed sample chains for the beautiful DrivenMachineDrumsStrikesBack library.

Of course you can create smaller chains (with 48/32/16/8 samples) it is just a matter of simple multiplication (*8, the scale factor of the pattern) so you can correctly set the Memory menu for Recording Length. Setting properly this will avoid you to trim the recorded file, so slicing it will be performed correctly without any other interventions…

Let me know if you need more details or just if this comes in some help for you.
Cheers!
GiGi
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
Interesting Rhythmic Devices That Seem To Counterpoint The Surrealism Of The Underlying Metaphor. DA RIP
Re:OT - making SampleChains within OT 10 Years, 9 Months ago
Sounds like a great system GiGi, well thought out.
Will give it a go when I get a mo.
Thanks for posting
Chain Chomp
Nice!!!
Boo
sicijk wrote:
This procedure works really well for me and in really less than an afternoon i completed sample chains for the beautiful DrivenMachineDrumsStrikesBack library.

Nice! Thanks for the procedure. Just wondering, I've been diggin the DMDSB library too and wondering if you did anything special organization-wise? Since it has all those subfolders and different amounts of samples in each.
Chain Chomp
MD uw
Octatrack
Monomachine mkII +Drive
Wolfgang, this was a real pain to manage...so i decided to dont care at all....i mean: i created chains for KICKS putting different subfolders together. And happened to make shorter chain (i've got one with only 8 samples!).
I decided to dont care just because i use chains in a really istintive way,,,,so having some organization would be just wasted time for me....
But.....i would appreciated a lot if the DMDSB had chains premade....

@ SKAB: thanks a lot a dude! I appreciated sooo much your Octatips series....so if this gives you something back...im happy! ALOT!
=)

Today i count how long the procedure would take

***EDIT***

i takes exactly 5 min to build one chain (excluding the initial time to prepare the T1's 64 sample trigs).
So if you go without stopping and being flawless in automatic fingers movements....you can build an average of 10/12 chains in one hour.....

What's your record?
Go to top Post Reply