As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Sandbox Re:OT: Harmonizer (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:OT: Harmonizer
OT: Harmonizer 12 Years, 9 Months ago
I wish I could put together a decent demo of this - I just can't find the right material to show it off.

I had an idea to turn the OT into a harmoniser. I assigned a Flex machine to the first three tracks and set them all to RECORDER1. Then I set the PTCH of Track 2 to +3.0 and PTCH of Track 3 to +7.0

Place a couple of simultaneous playback triggers on all three tracks (i.e. same trig positions)

Then go into the Record setup for Track 1. Assign the correct input and a length of, say, 16. Add a one-shot record trig to the first step.

Feed something into the OT while it's playing and then hold T1 and press ENTER/YES to record. You'll get a minor chord of whatever you put into the input. Instant harmoniser!

I then Scene-locked the PTCH of Track 2 to go from 3 (left) to 5 (right) and Track 3 from 7 (left) to 10 (right). Then as you're playing you can swipe the x-fader from left to right to get variation on the chord - left 0, 3, 7 and right 0, 5 10

Remember you can hold down T1 and ENTER/YES and the one-shot recorder will be constantly armed. Let go when you've got something good.
  The topic has been locked.
Re:OT: Harmonizer 12 Years, 9 Months ago
It doesn't have to be vocals, of course. I was running the BC16 into it with a simple saw-tooth note (triggered by a MIDI track on the OT). You can also then p-lock PTCH on the 3 tracks to get loads of variation. Helps to use the BAL parameter to spread the voices out and stick some subtle LFO on the filter width/base.
Chain Chomp
Great tip!
Admin
Superb tip!

If you set up different chords on different patterns, you can "play" chord progressions by switching patterns.

Alternatively, set up all eight tracks to cover a set of notes used in a song, and use mute to play different chords.

Alternatively, use scenes to fade from one chord to the next.
Yeah. Would be interesting to dedicate a Part to doing this. Could just drop in some right weird stuff by flipping the Part back to chord stack and back.
Chain Chomp
Every track here is made live using only the monomachine and the octatrack (no pc):
www.soundcloud.com/cutoph2
www.soundcloud.com/nobodyslistening
Great tip! The scene trick for changing chords is quite fun.
Used this on my last sketch using only 2 white-noise samples on the Octatrack and it was quite useful (link: http://soundcloud.com/phutil/30-noise). Also great for vibratos
King Koopa
www.exuviae-music.com

Current band members: Octatrack, A4, Ultranova
Re:OT: Harmonizer 12 Years, 8 Months ago
This was a killer suggestion and a great find - thanks for sharing!

I also suggest trying out different sources (drums/guitar, etc) and also different playback trigs for each of the 3 record tracks for interesting variations on this idea.

And yes, Scene-locking different pitches/playback parameters is just super.

Thanks!
Brooks
Hammer Bro
i do this a lot too, with some paning work and it sounds good quick !
the great thing is that you can change the sample pretty easily and test a lot of them with the selected chord.

it would be great to use the same compressor/reverb for the 3 tracks.

really nice trick but expensive in tracks !
i usually resample the output to free some track.

this + no sequencer + loop mode on + fader tweaking = best live ambiant ever !
howdragonsdisappear wrote:
this + no sequencer + loop mode on + fader tweaking = best live ambiant ever !

I cannot believe it.

Until I hear it
King Koopa
machinedrum sps-1 mkI
monomachine mkII
octatrack Dps-1
2x roland jx3p
roland spd-s
korg prophecy
microkorg
crumar Ds2