As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Re:Amazing Lecture by Brian Eno (Video) (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Amazing Lecture by Brian Eno (Video)
Amazing Lecture by Brian Eno (Video) 10 Years, 11 Months ago
https://vimeo.com/65663692#at=0

1 hour and a half but you won't lose your time !
It resonated so much with the electron user in me...
  The topic has been locked.
Game & Watch
MD UW+, OT, MnM UW+
dubathonic releases
fb
Re:Amazing Lecture by Brian Eno (Video) 10 Years, 11 Months ago
Great find, thanks for posting!

resonated so much with the electron user in me
...likewise, especially the section from 20-30 mins. He says a couple things that have occurred to me working with MD and OT.
You're welcome.
Yes, that section is great. It was quite a shock to hear Eno tell in 3 sentences what took me a year to understand...
Chain Chomp
nice
I liked that part about being in control of things and loosing control
King Koopa
Thanks.
Will watch this tonight.
Game & Watch
Justin Valer wrote:
Thanks.
Will watch this tonight.

+1

this may also be of interest:
http://stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html

i set this as my homepage so every new browser window accesses an eno gem of awesomeness
previewlounge wrote:

http://stoney.sb.org/eno/oblique.html

i set this as my homepage so every new browser window accesses an eno gem of awesomeness

That's a good one.
Thanks. I liked the part about limiting your options before startinga new piece. He is true about the less is more theory. I also struggle with the desire to discover new technology (ie acquire gear), but on the other hand it obstructs my creativity when I have too much gear to play with. That's why I liked the MD labs so much.

I guess I learned two valuable lessons this week: stop labeling your music and start with limiting your options. One bonus lesson: start with the name of the track. It will keep you focused during the creative process.
I think that part about limiting our options speaks to a lot of people. I've sold a lot of stuff in the past months to be able to buy an A4 & OT and every single person I've been in contact with was lost in this paradox: the more options, the less you actually make music.
It's impressive to realise that every musician, no matter their style, experience or goal fall into this.

I have a start of explanation for why people are more creative with primitive instruments thanks to a BBC documentary about consciousness I watched a few weeks ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNc52LmHgUs

*spoiler alert*
In the last experiment, we learn that when asked to take a decision, the unconscious part of our brain actually takes the decision 6 seconds (yes !!!) before the conscious part.
Knowing this, I think that, in order to take what we consider as "good decisions" (aka which are in accordance to our conscioussness, our will), the only thing to do is using our conscious side to "train" our unconscious side... It's basically the principle behind what we call "muscle memory" or, in art, I think that's what we call "inspiration", that magic feeling when creativity comes from "somewhere else"... but that "somewhere else" is actually ourselves !

So no wonder that the more simplistic the instrument, the more limits it has, the easier it is to get our unconscious to know it, the more creative we are... Freedom is in the limits !

It also meets the subject of the very last question: How to feel that religious-like passion when you're an atheist and making electronic music ? (the worst position ever ! )
Eno answer to the guy that he should try to play acoustic blues guitar and speaks about what is able to make him feel this, which is singing in a choir.. Both very physical practices.

And this is why I like Elektrons: the machines are quite physical, and as far as I'm concerned, will allow me to use physical instruments (guitar + voice) in a live electronic context ang get the best of both world.
Go to top Post Reply