As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Re:Vinyl Chit Chat (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Vinyl Chit Chat
Chain Chomp
Vinyl Chit Chat 11 Years ago
People talk about the resurgence of vinyl but did any one (that does collect vinyl) ever stop listening to it then decide one day that they would go back to it. I have always bought and used vinyl and it has never gone away for me.

I am also interested to know (as there are obviously collectors here with varied tastes in music) what are some of your most cherished pieces of Vinyl and why. Mine are not very collectable ones but more nostalgic. Some of the Surgeon/Downwards releases and in fact a lot of 90,s 12s that remind me of some pretty fantastic times . I also cherish the vinyl copy of Music has the right to children. Its a classic example i believe of music that simply sounds better being played on a record deck.

I do wish there were still record shops everywhere. I do miss being able to rifle thru the piles of records with a hungover in the shops. There is so few of them now.

Please, feel free to talk about Vinyl.
  The topic has been locked.
Goomba
Re:Vinyl Chit Chat 11 Years ago
I learned to dj on vinyl. Due to space and money constraints a few years ago, I made the switch to djing digitally with a midi controller.
I never stopped buying vinyl, as I bought a pro-ject deck for listening, and ripping recrds as opposed to djing with them. I always missed the feel and thrill of mixing with vinyl.
So recently, I've bought a pair of 1210s again, and a time code setup, so have the best of both worlds.

Prized bits of wax.
All the roulé releases & a few crydamoure
A lot of Warp stuff
Quite a bit of Aphex & autechre incl: The super heavyweight ltd edition Drukqs box, all the analords (no binder tho), Draft 7.30, confield, exai, oversteps
Midas Touch (Hell Interface remix)
A few floating points bits and bobs that sound really nice on vinyl.
A lot of late nineties early noughties house and techno.
The all the text records burial/four tet/Thom Yorke stuff
Some Lionel Richie album that I bought in a charity shop cause it has an amazing photo of him reclining on the double gatefold inner sleeve
Boo
The subject of vinyl resurgence eludes me. I have some friends that went back to vinyl only sets after trying digital for a few years. I visited Newcastle last week and there was a local tv news report stating that shops selling vinyl are on the up. I normally would have put that down to bearded types chin stroking and collecting vinyl but I also know a few guys in Leeds who recently opened a record store selling house music and various other forms of electronic music. So I'm not sure if something really is happening OR if we're just seeing small pockets of resistance.... Interesting topic anyway.

The collections of vinyl i have which are probably more valuable to me are the Basic Channel, Paper Recordings & Svek releases. Or some random newer stuff like the "kill the Dj" series exhibit a-d (I say while stroking my chin)
Game & Watch
... funny, been listening to a lot of vinyl this week and last night - for the first time in fact - on my trusted headphones and I was like - wooow so much more pleasant on the ear

Started buying vInyls from late 70ies - my first 12' was the yellow vinyl from Kiss - I was made for loving you then quickly turned to more elektro stuff like Human League''s Being Boiled, Heaven 17, Kraftwerk etc. Bought two SL1200 around mid eighties and really enjoyed doing home mixed tapes. Unfortunately lots of these tapes were stolen from my car while doing military service -bastards. Early nineties, exchanged my two decks for a decent stereo. Then the house-family-work life starts with buying CD's and vinyl collection gathering dust until 3 years ago when I bought an Audio Technica deck (sort of cheaper SL1200) and rediscovering my collection and now frequently buying old & new vinyl because
-more pleasant on the ear
-the tactile experience of pulling it out of the sleeves
-the sleeves and their artwork + the credits you could read without glasses

and as Nein puts it rightfully, I miss going through the pile of records in the stores

No particular favourites, I'll be listening to Basic Channel, Rose Royce, Lamont Dozier, Alessandro Alessandroni, Roll The Dice, Will Powers 12', Severed Heads 12', Roxy Music, Serge Gainsbourg and much much more.
I got out of the habit of buying vinyl sometime in the mid-'90s, but that was as much to do with the relative difficulty of finding it in the shops. I always kept a turntable and had hundreds of albums going back to the late-'70s. Re-discovering electronic music via a lot of Warp artists (Boards of Canada particularly) coincided with the rise of Internet shopping, which made finding vinyl a lot easier. A few years ago I upgraded to a Michel Gyrodec and almost 100% back to vinyl.

It's not just the sound. I like the extra effort of changing sides and sitting down to really listen to a record again, rather than having it in the background. I think my attention span is perfectly suited to 20 minute chunks of listening.

Most treasured vinyl?
Geogaddi, Amber, Spirit of Eden, Double Figure, Treasure, Second Toughest... way too many great records to mention.
Go to top Post Reply