As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:GAS
King Koopa
MD SPS-1UW+
Analog FOUR
Renoise 2.8

http://soundcloud.com/doktor-fibonacci
Re:GAS 11 Years, 1 Month ago
Every time I see something interesting and I get the itch, I ask myself 2 questions:

Q: Will this make my music any better or increase my enjoyment
Q: Where would I put this?

Most of the time, the first question is the end of it, but sometimes I may need to ask the 2nd question and the answer is, nowhere. I don't have much space. I've limited myself with space. I have 1 proper desk that holds my iMac , monitors, audio interface and gear, and this is the only space I allow myself for music. This limit to space is also the reason I favor elektron products over others, as the functionality to real estate ratio is quite good.

For me, putting these limitations leads to pretty good productivity. With little clutter, there are no distractions. With fewer pieces of gear, you tend to get pretty deep with them, and you will only add to your stockpile when you really, REALLY need a function that you don't currently have.

Cheers
  The topic has been locked.
Chain Chomp
MarsMelons - netlabel for experimental music

esmone - my drawings and cover art
DaCaVa wrote:
Every time I see something interesting and I get the itch, I ask myself 2 questions:

Q: Will this make my music any better or increase my enjoyment
Q: Where would I put this?

Most of the time, the first question is the end of it, but sometimes I may need to ask the 2nd question and the answer is, nowhere. I don't have much space. I've limited myself with space. I have 1 proper desk that holds my iMac , monitors, audio interface and gear, and this is the only space I allow myself for music. This limit to space is also the reason I favor elektron products over others, as the functionality to real estate ratio is quite good.

For me, putting these limitations leads to pretty good productivity. With little clutter, there are no distractions. With fewer pieces of gear, you tend to get pretty deep with them, and you will only add to your stockpile when you really, REALLY need a function that you don't currently have.

Cheers

That sounds like a very sound and healthy way of dealing with GAS! I've written a list of all the different elements of music production that I "need", and decided that if I want a new thing in one of the departments, the old one's got to go (much due to the same reasons you listed). So currently, the list looks like this;

Code: :

one sampler             --- Octatrack one drum machine        --- MachineDrum one mono synth        --- Monomachine one poly synth        --- Microwave XT one mixer            --- Mackie VLZ 803 one midi-keyboard        --- Novation MK 2 one dedicated sequencer    --- Sequentix Cirklon one analog synth        --- (don't have one) - one effects unit        --- Maschine

So the only unit missing is an analog - but I don't really need one, nor do I have the urge to get a particular one at the moment. But if I ever get the GAS back, I'll try to channel it into an analog.
King Koopa
MD SPS-1UW+
Analog FOUR
Renoise 2.8

http://soundcloud.com/doktor-fibonacci
@ DAISUK, that's a pretty nice list of gear, but shows focus. Cheers
Hammer Bro
Octatrack : Analog Four : NM G2
Soundcloud
Limits are definitely good. Not just space, but how much mental energy do you want to invest in knowing another piece of gear - not so much the architecture (because most synths are similar VCO-VCF-VCA topology, LFOs are much the same etc.), but in terms of knowing where the sweet spots are and how you'd get a good sound out of it.

Every synth sounds a bit different so you can always argue for expansion of your sonic arsenal, but if you think that way you're better off just buying sample packs of 'classic synths' or suchlike and using those like presets, let someone else do the work of identifying each synth's unique capabilities. What's more satisfying is to find something you rally like and then get to know it inside out so you can dig more and more sounds out of it.
Go to top Post Reply