As of September 23rd elektron-users has been replaced by elektronauts.com. Find out what this means here.
Elektron-Users Elektron Forum Elektron Lounge Re:Back to electronic music after 20 years (1 viewing)
Go to bottom Post Reply
TOPIC: Re:Back to electronic music after 20 years
Goomba
Back to electronic music after 20 years 11 Years, 2 Months ago
Hi, After 20 years back to electronic music! Mainly because iPad apps like Animoog, PPG Wavegenerator/Wavemapper and Samplr on the iPad.

Now also hardware, since a couple days owner of the Octatrack & Analog Four. What a amazing instruments

My old set-up 20 years ago:

Akai S1100 sampler
Akai VX600 synthesizer
Shure SM58 microphone
Atari ST computer
Steinberg Cubase sequencer
Mackie 1202 mixer
Akai GX cassette deck recording
Technics HiFi speakers

I sold everything around that time and the reason I chose Elektron now is mainly because of the 'know how' videos. The music I want to create is inspired by musicians like Richard Devine, Alessandro Cortini and Diego Stocco.

A lot to learn so far and my set-up is quite basic. I don't have a audio interface and monitor speakers yet! That would be something for later on.

Looking forward to dive and into the world of Elektron
  The topic has been locked.
Re:Back to electronic music after 20 years 11 Years, 2 Months ago
best of luck mate - I too had a long, long sabbatical from music...then came back, hit up the Elektrons, replaced all my vintage gear with modern 'equivalents' & haven't looked back. Whilst we all have a soft spot for vintage kit ( & I started back in '85 ) I can truthfully say that IMHO right now is a 'golden age' for affordable, kick ass EM production gear & instruments, whatever genre you're into producing.

have fun !
Chain Chomp
good luck and have fun.
Goomba
Thanks Xmit & Nein, Indeed right now is the 'golden age'. Sampling is great fun and analog is more back than ever! Right now a lot of trail and error. Some really nice accidents along this way also.

Reading the manuals is more about how to use the machines. I also need to learn more about sampling and synthesis to. I'm thinking of ordering the book 'the 4 element synth' by Rob Papen.

http://www.robpapen.com/dvd-sound-design.html

Anyone familiar with this book? Or any other books for sampling and sound design?
Goomba
Re:Back to electronic music after 20 years 11 Years, 1 Month ago
Well, the book and DVDs are available on the internet, so one could try it before buying it.

It covers all the basic parts of every analog/VA synth such as osc, filter, amp, envelope and lfo. Explanations are very detailed, but rather slow-paced and sometimes uninteresting.

It is hard to justify spending 75 EUR on this book, unless one is Rob Papen's fan.

There is so much free information available on this topic, for example Sound on Sound tutorials Synth School http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1997_articles/jun97/synthschool1.html and Synth Secrets http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm
Go to top Post Reply